PC'd Apple G5

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Kelesis, Jan 27, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kelesis macrumors newbie

A co-worker just sent me a link, and warned me that I may get sick looking at it. He is strictly a PC user, though he appreciates Apple and the design of the G5. He agrees with me that this is quite appalling.

http://www.overclockers.com/tips1133/

I apologize if this has already been posted; I have not seen it here.

2. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

By the way the link isn't working but if you enter it without the index.asp it will load the article.

What kind of moron would tear apart a present that he stated himself as being very expensive and important to his parents?

3. Mav451 macrumors 68000

Mav451

yeah pretty silly if you ask me. An AMD system (and even worse, a 2200+ means it is a FIRST GENERATION athlon XP chip, from 2001) is significantly cheaper than the dual G5 he originally had.

If had EBayed his system, he easily could have gotten 90% or even 100% of its original cost--that or he tells his parents that he doesn't use a Mac.

Had he placed a dual opteron system in there, maybe, just maybe it would have come to 60% of the original cost...even then it wouldn't be worth it...

very silly indeed. :(

4. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

That is the dumbest thing I think I have ever seen!

Take one brand new £2.4k computer, and rip it to pieces! Great idea! A Dell (thgat he wanted) wouldn't have cost half that (easily!) :eek:

5. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

From the article:

"I use it mostly for Internet, ripping music/DVDs and pissing off my friend."

Unless he couldn't figure out how to tick off his friend with the G5... he just wasted a lot of money... and I hope ticking off his friend is worth that much.

Edit: Relooking at the pre-tearing apart picture... it had two processors... is he CRAZY? If somebody gave me a tricked out Commodore 64/128 I'd at least do my research before I tore it apart to see how much I could get for it... sheesh...

6. Mr Maui macrumors 65816

Mr Maui

Seems like the following would have been wiser options ...

A. Sell the present Dual G5 to someone who would use it, and then buy a cheaper, older, or used single processor G5 box if all you want is the box ...

He could have made the same piece of carp and had $1000 or more in his pocket.

B. Find an inoperable box and purchase it on the cheap

C. Contact the manufacturer of the case and see if you can buy one (or at least something similar.

I guess the kid's parents have money to burn.

<wonder what would happen if we found out who they were and told them>

:eek: :D :rolleyes:

7. takao macrumors 68040

takao

if i got a DP G5 as a present i would be praising_the_lord/washing the person's car for 10 years/would organise a big party with free drinks/....
    this list would go on.....
    i think this person just has too much money

8. Mr Maui macrumors 65816

Mr Maui

um ...

mommy and daddy have too much money! :D

9. Mr Maui macrumors 65816

Mr Maui

I wonder how much his parents will spend on his funeral if they find out ...

Any guesses???

I bet it's less than a new dual 2.0 G5 box ...

I was thinking MAYBE ... pine ... :eek:

10. Mr Maui macrumors 65816

Mr Maui

Calling him that is an insult to retarded people. They have no control over their situation.

11. takao macrumors 68040

takao

10$ ...shovel
    few hours.... to dig a hole

somebody knows how old this guy is ?

man this is like tearing a porsche apart to put in a 34ps engine from a VW Bug

12. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

You can always shoot him off an e-mail at the bottom of the 2nd page... and beat him somehow...

13. Gymnut macrumors 68000

Gymnut

I wouldn't doubt he threw the G5 processors in the trash. What a moron.

14. Lanbrown macrumors 6502a

They would probably reuse the G5 case! It would be a shame to put it in the ground though.

15. neoelectronaut macrumors 68020

neoelectronaut

At least he was smart and kind enough to give the Innards of the G5 to his buddy. With any luck he'll be able to put THEM into another case and have at least a semi-functional to functional G5.

16. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

One of the stupidist things i have seen in a while, I wonder what he will think when UT2004 and Doom 3 are running better on G5s then the windows machine. Taking a wonderful engineering job and then turning it into a rat nest PC. so many adjectives to describe his actions. D.A.

17. yamabushi macrumors 65816

yamabushi

I know its a sick mod but I find it oddly appealing. Kind of like the feeling you get watching a good horror movie.

I would have loved to have paid for the guts of the dual G5 and put them in a nice PC case. I doubt it would look as nice as the original but it would certainly be fun.:D

18. MacAficionado macrumors 6502

Oh My God!

That guy is the DUMBEST mother F'r in the face of the world.

I'm speechless

19. 7on macrumors 601

7on

I sent him an email

20. XnavxeMiyyep macrumors 65816

XnavxeMiyyep

The insides of the G5 originally looked so cool, but now so ugly...:(

Why would he do such a thing!? (I know he stated his "reasons", but still!)

21. Phatpat macrumors 6502a

Phatpat

I think you guys have to realize he couldn't have sold it. He needed the case to make it seem like he kept the computer. You are acting just like his parents would if they found out :) I haven't seen any g5 cases on ebay, or non-working computers, so he probably couldn't just buy one of those. The PC modding community does a lot of cool things. Maybe not cost efficient, but its a decent set up.

22. Thirteenva macrumors 6502a

Hmmmm..... know what would have been even cooler...... nah nah, its just to stupid to mention..... ok ok, i'll say it. He could have....ENJOYED HAVING A BRAND NEW, DUAL PROCESSOR, G5!!!!!!

Seems to me a typical example of a spoiled child with no sense of appreciation or value of any sort.

23. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

I get your point but if he was the sort of person that had $3000 to blow on a case for a PC then I think he would have done a better job with the internals. It's a total hack job that looks like a 6th grader could have done better.

24. claytonbench macrumors member

The link doesnt work for me. Can someone upload the pic?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.