PCI card install on iMac DV

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by wifi_cowboy, Apr 19, 2004.

1. macrumors newbie

Here's my question... I have an iMac DV (the early one w/o firewire slots), and I would like to know if I could add a firewire PCI card to an old iMac since there is seemingly no visible sign of an expansion slot on the outer shell. Oh, thanks to any answers in advance! ;)

2. macrumors 65816

strider42

Do you mean with out firewire ports. If so, thats not an iMac DV. DV refers to digital video, and hence a DV iMac by definition includes firewire. You probably have a 350 mhz slot loader. Doesn't really matter, just for accuracy.

There are no expansion slots in your model. Some 350 mhz machines had an airport slot, depending on which revision it was. There is no to add firewire to your machine. Sorry.

3. macrumors newbie

No it cannot be done. The only way for you to get Firewire in an iMac DV that did not originally ship with, is a whole motherboard swap.

4. thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks

Oh well, it's still good for something though. Thanks for your help. :)

5. macrumors 65816

whocares

Well you can get a processor upgrade for that iMac, and the upgrade includes a firewire port. :cool:

I think it's a 'Harmoni G3', but am not sure. Run a search on google for updating a 'Rev. E' iMac.

---------------------------------
    Edit:

Actually, no, it only works on Revs A through D. Sorry. :(
    Here's a link.