Pci-e Sata Raid?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by timb, Aug 10, 2006.

1. timb macrumors regular

Jun 6, 2003
    Anyone have leads on a mac pro compatible PCI-E SATA RAID card? I have three SATA 150 10k RPM Raptors sitting here I'd *love* to hook up in RAID-5 on my new Mac Pro, though I'd settle with RAID-0.
  2. jdwl macrumors newbie

Aug 10, 2006
  3. timb thread starter macrumors regular

Jun 6, 2003
  4. voyagerd macrumors 65816

Jun 30, 2002
    Rancho Cordova, CA
    I don't see that the one you are showing has Mac support.
  5. YoYoMa macrumors 6502

Aug 3, 2006
    I am also considering a bootable RAID card for my Mac Pro. Are there any out there that are highly regarded among the competition without costing more than they're really worth? Like Raptors with hard drives?
  6. timb thread starter macrumors regular

Jun 6, 2003
    Look at the link in jdwl's post.

The card in my link uses the SiL reference chip, and seeing as how SiL provides drivers on their site, it should work. The only question is wether you can boot or not with it. It's $30, so I'm ordering one to try.

7. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Aug 9, 2002
    I haven't seen a Mac Pro in person yet, but judging by the pictures, I'd say that given the way the hard drive bays are set up there would be no viable way to use those bays for a RAID array.
  8. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

May 19, 2002
  9. MaxPower2k6 macrumors newbie

Aug 14, 2006

That was my impression, too. The SATA connections are built into the drive bays; there's no way to route them to a different controller. I'd love to be wrong, though... A RAID5 setup in there would be fantastic.
  10. timb thread starter macrumors regular

Jun 6, 2003
    Well, they do seem to be hard wired into the drive bay, however they DO go to a plug on the motherboard. You could adapt that to a normal drive somehow I suppose.

I guess what I really want is a bootable RAID 5 card... In time I suppose.
  11. jdwl macrumors newbie

Aug 10, 2006
    Why would the drives have to be inside the computer? e-sata is just as good (better for heat issues really)...
  12. timb thread starter macrumors regular

Jun 6, 2003
    Then I'd have 4 drives sitting on my desk buzzing in my ear, and that's just not cool.
  13. jdwl macrumors newbie

Aug 10, 2006
    nah - e-sata cables can be looooong - put them in a cupboard, or just on the floor :p
  14. eMagine macrumors regular

Sep 18, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    I use firmtek seritek. but hardware RAID only works in Windows.
  15. kittiyut macrumors regular

Oct 28, 2007
  16. nanofrog macrumors G4

May 6, 2008
    From a quick glance at the Sonnet, I wouldn't think so. It doesn't seem to be hardware RAID. (Needed for multiple OS use). You can always contact the manufacturer. In my experience, they will respond. :)

Bootcamp causes problems with some cards. :(

There are a few other threads about, where the bootcamp issue has been discussed in depth.

Barefeats is about to release a review of the CalDigit RAID card. Possibly the RocketRaid 2640x4 as well.

Good Luck,