Pci Extreme Hack Works On Tiger 10.4.8?

Discussion in 'Apple Collectors' started by nv17, Jan 19, 2007.

1. nv17 macrumors newbie

hello! This is my first post! Sorry for my poor english but i am italian! I have just bought a radeon 7000 mac edition pci from an ebay's user because i wanted to replace the croppy Rage 128pro on my "new " B&W G3 350Mhz. I read on the net that an hack called PCI EXTREME can turn on Quartz Extreme with PCI graphica card. What i don't understand is if this hack can work with tiger 10.4.8:)
    THANKS FOR YOR ANSWER AND SUPPORT!

2. ReanimationLP macrumors 68030

ReanimationLP

@nv17 :

Yes, it will work perfectly fine under Tiger 10.4.8. Just be sure to get the newest version.

Also, welcome to the MacRumors forums! :)

3. madmax_2069 macrumors 6502a

madmax_2069

yea it works great, i have it enabled on my upgraded Beige G3 with a Radeon 7000. video in VLC play's better then with it off. dvd movies play smoother. QT videos play better. and with no sound skipping. all in all i seen more good than i have bad.

4. ReanimationLP macrumors 68030

ReanimationLP

Question for you madmax, can you drive the internal AIO display off of the 7000, or no?

5. nv17 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you guys for your answer:) I'm really happy to join your fantastic community! What is the latest version and where can i find it?
    A completely new life is going to begin for my Powermac:D

6. nv17 thread starter macrumors newbie

Another question: with the radeon 7000 will it be more faster and smoother the web's pages scrolling in safari and the scrolling of the albums' images in iTunes 7? And also the exposè's effect and genius effect?

7. madmax_2069 macrumors 6502a

madmax_2069

yea the radeon 7000 will be allot smoother than allot of the other video cards (almost like night and day) sept the orignal radeon Mac edition pci and the radeon 9200 mac edition pci. those 2 cards will be about 1x-2x faster than the 7000 will. the 7000 is the low end of the Radeon video cards but will still be way smoother than the Rage 128 or other Rage card.

as for what version of PCI extreme to use, you can look it up on www.xlr8yourmac.com just search pci extreme (im useing PCI Extreme 3.1 with my tiger 10.4.8 install). remember you might not have the sucsess as i did. for a simple fact these Beige G3 systems might be named the same but most of them act like totaly diffrent system's even tho they are the same. you might know this already but PCI extreme will not work for the onboard GPU or any other video card 16mb vram or below or a video card useing any version of the Rage GPU

Why yes you can ( with a bit of hacking). i found a web site that shows you how to hook a PCI video card to the wires to the internal monitor and from what i have seen it works quite well. there is some stuff thats on that site that i have questions about. i was going to do that to my AIO but i liked having 2 monitors better after a wile. a 15" external being driven by the 7000. and the internal monitor being driven by the Rage Pro with 6mb vram (2mb onboard and with 4mb vram sodimm stick to make it 6mb vram)

i will edit once i find the link to that site that shows you how to do the hack. his looks ugly cause seems he was in a rush to do it. if you do it right it can look nice.

(((EDIT))): here is the link to the AIO internal monitor hooked to the 7000 http://www.shanecurd.com/wordpress/?page_id=10

8. nv17 thread starter macrumors newbie

many thanks for your reply:)
    I have a Rage128 with 16Mb of VRAM in my B&W G3 actually. Than I'm expecting a drammatically (more or less;) ) speed improvement with the Radeon 7000.
    What i can't understand in your reply is why with my B&W the pci extreme's hack may not work?I haven't strange component inside (original configuration). It is a powerMac G3 Rev.1 with OS X Tiger 10.4.8!
    What are the steps to install pci extreme's hack?
    I change the video card.
    Boot in OS X with the radeon and i think that tiger automatically recognize the card and configure it.
    I install the hack and than reboot the system, or not:p ????

9. madmax_2069 macrumors 6502a

madmax_2069

no what i ment to say was even tho if you have 2 of the same Mac's with the same hardware in them. one can work wile the other has problems with having it enabled. dont ask me why that is . most Mac's are that way same system but act like they are totaly diffrent.

PCI Extreme 3.1 alll you need to do is extract it and put the app in your applacations folder or if it needs installed install it. once your done with that run the app and select pci bus and reboot and PCI Extreme will be anabled. getting this working on any PCI Mac is a gamble caus it can cause your system to not boot if your system is one of those system's can boot fine but has problems with the gui, if you run into any problems if you can boot. run the app again and select AGP which will turn off PCI Extreme.