PCI or USB Wireless?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by JOD8FY, Aug 18, 2004.

1. JOD8FY macrumors 6502a

JOD8FY

Hello Everyone,

I've recently bought an Airport Express and have been very happy with it. However, I have two computers that I need to have connected to the internet (one PC and one Mac) that are on opposite sides of my house. I plan to put the AEx somewhere in the middle of my house so that they can both receive a signal, but my PC does not have any wireless capabilities. I have been trying to decide whether to get a wireless PCI card for it or a USB wireless adapter. Is there a significant difference in speed/distance of signal? The PC will be in the room directly below the AEx, so it should reach, right? I can pick up a USB wireless adapter for cheap, but is it worth spending the extra money on a PCI card?

Thanks for the info,
    JOD8FY

P.S. - My house is not made of reinforced steel or anything, just wood :)

2. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

I always use the USb ones. They're so much easier to set up. Plug and play...

Also, the USb ones usually have a few feet or cord, so you can place it where you get the best signal.

3. JOD8FY thread starter macrumors 6502a

JOD8FY

Thanks for the advice. You haven't had any problems with it? What kind did you buy?

Thanks,
    JOD8FY

4. JOD8FY thread starter macrumors 6502a

JOD8FY

Has anyone else had any experience with USB wireless adapters? Do some work better than others?

JOD8FY