PCI Sound Cards for G5

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by wcj912, Sep 1, 2004.

1. wcj912 macrumors newbie

I recently bought and received a PowerMac G5 and to my dismay found out that they don't support 5.1 surround sound. So I guess a PCI sound card is my only alternative? I've been looking at the M-Audio Revolution 7.1 but don't really know yet. Are there any PCI-X sound cards out there yet?? :confused:

2. mslifkin macrumors regular

mslifkin

Hi,

The G5 does support 5.1 audio; only thing is, it's digital (optical). What I wound up doing was to get a SoundBlaster Extigy, and external "sound card" with both optical and SPDIF inputs. I take the optical output from my G5 and run it into the optical input. In my G4 (I've got the M-Audio Revolution 7.1 card in there) I take the SPDIF out from the card into the SPDIF input on the Extigy. This way I've got 5.1 audio on both machines, though not at the same time. I guess you could plug the Revolution card into the G5, but I've never done it. Good luck.

Marc

3. wcj912 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks alot!!

I think you have just solved my problem...external sound card I never even thought about that. Has anyone else out there got an external sound card (probably Soundblaster) hooked up to their G5 and 5.1 surround sound system? Just want some opinions on how well they work.