PCI Video card

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by D0ct0rteeth, Nov 17, 2002.

1. D0ct0rteeth macrumors 65816

D0ct0rteeth

I am a quazi-satisfied formac studio owner.

The quality is almost what i need.. and I would like to use the PCi slot in the quicksilver g4 rather than a firewire cable.

has anyone heard of this?
    http://www.pixela.co.jp/en/press/captytv_pci.html

Any other cards that you know of? an PCI HDTV card would be tits.

Thanks.

-Doc

2. vniow macrumors G4

I think that's the only PCI card supported under OSX, there's a couple others out there, but they haven't bothered to make OSX drivers for them.

So far that one's your best bet.

As for HDTV, there's been some talk about reverse engineering some of the drivers of one of the cards for Linux which could them be ported to OSX, but nothing so far.

Funny how Macs are regarded as some of the best platforms for digital media and there aren't many affordble solutions to do something as simple as watch and record TV on it.

3. Nipsy macrumors 65816

Nipsy

Macintosh is very good at a professional level, but much of the consimer hardware is released Windows only. Studios aren't recording or editing TV signals as we receive them, but are editing camera and stock footage so that we may receive TV signals.

As for Linux drivers being tweaked to the Mac, it is certainly beginning to happen. Apple has provided support for several SCSI cards under OSX which were previously unavailable, solely beacause it was trivial to recompile and tweak the FreeBSD drivers. Individual developers are doing the same (slowly).

This will mean that those in the know will have more options in the future. It may say Windows only on the box, but more and more products will be OS X compatible. Do your research, and you'll have more options, and often lower prices.

Patience folks...