PCI-X/AGP GeForce 7800 question

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by agreenster, Nov 13, 2005.

1. agreenster macrumors 68000

agreenster

Help a clueless guy out! I have a first-generation dual 2ghz G5 and I want to upgrade to the Nvidia GeForce 7800 whenever it comes out. It's PCI Express, so is it compatible with my board? The video card I have now is AGP (radeon 9600) and all the slots look the same? Im cornfused.

Help a brudda out

BTW, does anyone know when this card will be available? Where's the best place to buy it from?

Thanks all

2. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

the 7800 will never come out for agp, either for pc or mac. the bottleneck in performance would be the 8x agp bus!! if you want to upgrade your video card your best bet is the 6800 ultra or the x850xt.

3. agreenster thread starter macrumors 68000

agreenster

Cool, thanks--so let me get this straight: PCI-Express and PCI-X are two different things, neither of which my G5 has, right?

Which is better then, the x850xt or the 6800?

4. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

right, only the new dual-core ones have pci-express. your g5 does have pci-x, however. but keep in mind that pci-x and pci-e (pci-express) are 2 different things. pci-x is a replacement for pci, for expansion cards and such, and pci-e does that as well as graphics. it's really quite confusing.
    http://barefeats.com/radx850.html
    that has benchmarks between x800xt, x850xt, 6800gt, and 6800ultra. it looks as though it depends on what applications you're using.

5. reberto macrumors 65816

reberto

Your G5 has PCI-X. No video cards out there take advantage of that. As for the video card, go with ATI.

6. agreenster thread starter macrumors 68000

agreenster

Thanks a ton for your help you guys! Man, no wonder I was confused....PCI-X, express, AGP, ahhh!!

Ill probably pick up the X800 or X850