PCs At School :)

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by CompUser, Nov 8, 2005.

1. CompUser Guest

The PC switch at my school is continuing to fail.

Last week the power went out where they have the servers. Apparently they do not have battery backups, because for two days no one could log onto their account. For another 2 days none of the printers worked. All the computers in the Middle, High School, and BOE were out. At my school that includes the Office's computers, the teacher's computers, the media center, the graphic design/av lab, the yearbook/acounting lab, the engineering lab, and the electronics lab. Not to mention the mini labs in all of the science teachers room and in our ecology center. It makes me laugh.

I take Graphic Design we use PCs. The teacher also teachers Audio/Visual. The other day I went to work on a project during a study hall. The teacher had an A/V class at the time. They were using movie maker to make a movie. Everyone's computer froze at least 4 times (2.8GHz HP desktops w/512mb RAM). (The advanced A/V class uses adobe premiere)

My Graphic Design teacher is so bad. He puts Mac down all the time and he has no idea what he is talking about. He says macintosh cannot read all formats of music and cannot read GIF files. We also had to read an article about CD-ROMs and make a PowerPoint of how CDs are better than floppies. This article was so old it said, "in the future, CD-ROMs will be able to be rewritten." This teacher also made a website a long time ago as a joke that sold floppy eject buttons for macs. He also was talking about "historygrams" (said that multiple times), but he probably meant histogram.
  2. G5Unit macrumors 68020

Apr 3, 2005
    I'm calling the cops
    I hate people like that. Sounds like a real DumbAsh.
  3. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

Jan 6, 2004
    some teachers just shouldn't have gone into that profession
  4. Frisco macrumors 68020

Sep 24, 2002
    Yeah sounds like your school is way outdated, or at least the professor is.

He definitely doesn't 'Think Different."

Don't fight him though. It's useless. Get your good grade and move along.

Teachers teach because they can't...........so they teach old technology.
  5. tech4all macrumors 68040

Jun 13, 2004
    That made me laugh aloud :D

Ignorance. Someone should walk about to them with a Mac (Power/iBook) and have iTunes open playing music and have an animated GIF open in Safari and show him ;)
  6. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

May 2, 2005
    I agree with this 100%.

I've had to learn how to do this. It's hard at first, but gets easier.

just take a deep breath...
  7. CompUser thread starter Guest

He is old, probably in his 50s, front butt, pants up to his armpits, a comb-over, and when you get up close to him it you"ll notice his skin is peeling off.

He also tries to sound smart by using "high level words" such as "reiterate". He says it, then asks if anyone knows what it means, we all do, but we all think its a rhetorical question.

He always talks about how people are "researching photoshop", as if one day adobe photoshop CS1 popped out of the ground one day and now we have to study it.

He doesn't teach though, he makes us go home, print of a 30 page tutorial, bring it in, and do the tutorial. We do have to take notes every monday on what we will be doing that week, and occasionally we learn about how to do something such as import a picture off a digital camera (yea, fun).

When ever my friend asks me a question about my mac such as, what kind of printer do you have again, I imitate my teacher's voice and say "UHHH, because Macintosh only uses AppleTalk and modern printers use USB, there are no modern printers that are compatible" or some ridiculous thing like that. Or I'll randomly say something like "Macintoshes cannot read web pages because they do not support the proper formats" out of the blue.

He also bought a $150 InterLink remote control for his computer, but doesn't use it.
  8. CompUser thread starter Guest

My electronics teacher is so anti mac. He is a 40 year old 15 year old. He is obessed with playing games. He says he doesn't like macs because a. you can't build your own b. they cost too much c. they don't have good games ("the only game you can run on it is tony hawk")

When I told him I have a Mac he was like "what games to you play on it", and I was like "None, I have an XBOX" and he was like "what programs do you have" and I was like "MS Office, the Adobe Suite, etc" and he was like "So you play photoshop, 'hey dude, wanna come over my house an play photoshop'"

Then a couple weeks ago I think right after the new quad G5 came out, I built one at apples site, 16gb ram, 1000GB, dual 30" etc. Brought it in to him and said "Look who makes the better computer now".
  9. CompUser thread starter Guest

He doesn't think much at all.

I don't fight with him. I just roll my eyes and laugh.
  10. tech4all macrumors 68040

Jun 13, 2004
    Yea I just love playing Photoshop on my Mac. It's really fun! :rolleyes:

Man doesn't this "teacher" know that there are other reasons to own a computer besides games? I'm just sooo tired of that comment: "MACs suck cuz they can't play games!!!!"

I wish you luck CompUser :)
  11. prostuff1 macrumors 65816

Jul 29, 2005
    Don't step into the kawoosh...
    I guess i was one of the lucky ones in high school. My school was and still is all mac. I think the only windows machine in the whole school is the Athletic Advisors. The tech person at the school is a big mac fan and i was the student aid that always helped out. Best "job" ever!!!

All three schools (elementary, middle, and high schools) are all mac. It was SO nice!!
  12. plinden macrumors 68040

Apr 8, 2004
    A teacher asked you to come over to his house ...?
  13. Whyren macrumors 6502a

Jun 3, 2004
    east of the West and west of the East
    That's a shame. All the art/graphic design professors at my college love Macs, which have been removed from most of the rest of campus. The official computer (Mac) art professor even has Apple stickers and other pro-Mac paraphernalia around her office. If the blasted IT dept. ever threatened removal of the Macs in the art labs, they'd fight them tooth and nail. At least they convinced IT to finally upgrade all the computers to OS X. :rolleyes:
  14. jamesW135 macrumors 6502a

Apr 30, 2005
    For all those people that dont think macs can play games tell them that you can get Halo for it. That will tell them.
  15. freeny macrumors 68020

Sep 27, 2005
    My old College graphics dept and pretty much the rest of its computers are all mac. Just about any "serious" college that teaches a creative art in NYC is mac based. enroll in NYC:) the only program I have ever taken on a pc was Maya and was easily transferred to a mac. all the 15 others were taught on a mac.
  16. janey macrumors 603

Dec 20, 2002
    sunny los angeles
    /me shrugs

Why do you care what someone else thinks? Let them think that all they want, and just move on.

OTOH, my college is mostly PCs but the art/entertainment tech/multimedia people have Macs. I even saw a lovely 23" aluminum cinema display in one of the offices. As for the students' laptops, from what I've seen I think it's an almost even split between Macs and everything else.

As for my CS prof, the guy doesn't know how to use like anything but the one exception of the bash shell. Honestly, I don't know how he does anything in class - brilliant guy, but he hunts and pecks on the keyboard. How'd he ever get anything done? shrug. But he recently discovered that Macs have that awesome FreeBSD foundation, ya know? ;)