PC's in Apple Stores

Discussion in 'MacRumors News Discussion (archive)' started by arn, Jun 6, 2002.

1. arn
    macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

CNet has learned that Apple is considering doing head-to-head PC-Mac comparisons in Apple Stores:

One strategy under consideration would involve bringing Windows PCs into the stores, where customers could presumably be shown the advantages of Macs.

If the proposal is adopted, PCs from one or more manufacturers would be compared with Macs, the sources said. Apple also plans to run Connectix VirtualPC--emulation software for running Windows on Macs--on store demo units. This too would be part of the "conversion" strategy, showing potential PC customers that they could continue using current Windows software on their new Macs.

Apple seems to be getting serious about converting PC users, with the PC user recent survey, and of course, the ever expansion of Apple Stores.

2. macrumors 6502a

I love the idea.

I don't know if it's smart to do a side by side with Virtual PC unless they are running it on their fastest Mac and using the smallest PC apps.

3. macrumors 6502

sounds cool
    wonder what brand it will be. Hopefully it will be a alienware or hp w/ an amd chip to show that were better then windows' best. The VPC idea soundscool too but whats the point we want then to use X not windows. Mybe Im just missing the point. Can't wait till when the Apple store round here is finished.

4. macrumors 6502a

5. Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Probably one of the best things I've heard Apple doing. Not only will it show people the Apples can go head to head with PCs, but that Apple isn't trying to hide behind fancy design.

I'll be curious to see exactly what machines they use for the comparisons, though...

6. macrumors 65816

NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

Don't run VPC5 inside the stores! It sucks and is sooooooo slloooooooowwwwwwwww that it will discourage potential buyers.

I run VPC5 on my dual gig and it takes minutes to launch some apps, you can watch in slow motion as windows ar drawn!

I hope they don't run VPC 5!!

7. macrumors 6502a

Dunepilot

Seems like a good idea to me

But make sure they don't try and show them any games via VPC!

Stress the Mac games to the new users. Damn, I wish M$haft hadn't bought Bungie!

8. macrumors 68000

Falleron

Presumably, they would use the Mac versions of the program to demonstrate the differences. They would then use the emulator to show customers that they can still use their old software.

I say give it a try! If it does not work, what has been lost?

9. macrumors 6502

of course you guys love the idea. i wonder what apple is planning to do to make the macs seem 'faster'

10. Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

What do you propose?

I think just putting them next to Dells will be sufficient. :p

11. macrumors 6502

yeah, i'm fine with that. i just want the test to be fair, as i'm interested in performance regardless of platform. i've read the infamous mac vs pc in after effects article on bare feats, and it just never looked good for the mac.

personally, i want to see apple kick a little ass.

12. macrumors regular

heck yeah it's slow. I run VPC5 with windows XP and it takes for days.....I only use it for browsers (website testing) and it takes days to launch IE.

I was thinking about installing windows 98 because there's less to it and maybe it would run faster.

I would like to see a benchmark of the different windows OSes running on VPC on a mac.

13. macrumors demi-god

szark

The Apple store near me was already demoing VPC(Win98) on the dual 1GHz PowerMac earlier this week.

No sign of PCs, though.

14. macrumors 68030

britboy

Sounds like a really good idea to me. I hope they'll get some of the most boring-looking pc's out there though, for customers to have a visual reference to compare the stylish macs to ;)

Perhaps they could have some old dell machine in a dark corner, with the BSOD :p

15. macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

should be good.

but as others have said, the comparisons should be fair... that way, if the pc wins, apple will feel more fire under their arses to get up to speed.

that said, i am confident that 90% of people who open mindedly sit down and compare the two will come away with a mac.

16. Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

We know Apple wouldn't make a move like this unless they know that their hardware will be up to snuff.

Since they are considering this, does that indicate that the next generation of PowerMacs will be considerably faster (DDR, G5, RapidIO, etc.) or that Apple simply wants to point out ease of use and the OS X GUI?

17. macrumors 6502a

Rajj

I think it is a superb idea!!! I am a former P.C. customer converted into Apple, so I think it's a great idea!!!:D

But I think Connectix needs to do something with VP 5 to make it faster, then more pc people will convert:confused:

18. macrumors regular

Speed is secondary issue

The fact that a Mac can emulate a PC is extraordinary. Sure its not going to be as fast as a PC - its emulation. Can a PC do the same?

19. macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

Putting Dells next to Macs would be a good idea. Dell is one of Apples big foes and by showing the mac beating the PC that would be great. Do comparisons of ease of use, M$ office, free apps, digital movie and still editing, and music.
    Lets show the world what we are made of.

20. macrumors 65816

ok so they put a dual 1ghz G4 against a 700 mhz celeron DELL....great comparison :rolleyes:

21. macrumors member

It looks like Apple may have finally gotten their cojones back. Now will they finally but together a marketing campaign that show cases some real information and not another antiseptic, fluff piece.

Enjoy!

22. macrumors 68030

Hemingray

I agree. Apple had better get their stuff together if they plan on demoing a REAL cookoff between a Mac and a PC. The PC would have to be near the standard GHz available to PC users in order to truly woo any PC user over to the Mac platform. Anything less would be a joke. Now, for the real question: can the current PowerMacs truly compete? :confused: Guess I'll just have to visit my local Apple Store and find out! Or maybe they're waiting for July to pull out the big guns... hmmm... :)

23. macrumors 68000

SilvorX

right now i'm a pc user but converting to mac since windows is as dull as an os can get, win xp is basically just win 95 (without it being based on dos) with tonnes of gui changes
    n mac os is an interesting OS to use (atleast 8.6+) n i'm going to be using macs more at school next school years cuz the principal wants me to do some stuff for him next year like design the webpage, n he just asked me today if i wanted to be on the yearbook comittee lol

24. macrumors 65816

Re: Speed is secondary issue

You haven't used VPC have you? VPC 3 rocked, it was fast. VPC 4 started to slow down some and now VPC 5 is just crap. So it's not that we are wnating more, it's just it keeps getting slower and slower. And it's not extrodinary when it's been a reality for so many years, it's second nature now.

If you did try it, you'd complain about the speed too.

VPC 5 makes the first release of OS X (10.0) seem like OS 9 to put it in perspective.

25. macrumors 65816

it depends on what you're doing, but the new 2.533ghz P4 has been shown to knock out the rest, including the XPs...so I dont think the dual ghz would win many battles

I'd imagine regardless of hardware the XP box they'd show would be a lot snappier....I haven't seen jagwire in person yet, but from the videos my pc seems a bit quicker....although I'm starting to notice a lot of misdrawn windows and things in explorer...almost like its being messy he he

a test here shows some interesting results:http://barefeats.com/pentium4.html

I'd doubt that most users could be won over on speed alone though. it would probably be more advantageous to pit a new iMac against like a 1ghz or 1.2ghz pc of some make and show the ease of use of the iMac (not to mention that beautiful keyboard)....another thing would be to show different apps on different platforms...to try to show people that there really isnt that sort of deficiency in software as some people think. side by side of photoshop, office, maybe some sort of sound app would be good. people aren't going to move over if they don't think they can transfer all their files over

but they definently shouldn't set this up sort of thing up just for speed. no matter how much praying one does, one will never hit 290 fps in quake on a dual ghz G4 :D :D (not that one would actually need that kind of speed :rolleyes:.....)