pcs vs macs...round 1

Discussion in 'Community' started by jefhatfield, Jan 13, 2003.

1. jefhatfield Retired

Jul 9, 2000
    what are the strong points of a mac? of a pc?

and the weak points?

the reason i don't put this in the "general mac discussion" is because the only macs and pcs that can be fairly compared are ones prior to os x or windows xp...the fairly new operating systems are still in the womb and yet have to get the proper support of the industry to fully realize their potential
  2. digitalgiant macrumors regular

May 29, 2002
    Knoxville Tenneesse
    it must be the switchers

These topics are dumb, why even makes a post like this. Ok look,,,, its apples and oranges. Woulod you compare a BMW to a Ford. Not really. Sorry I am just tired of these lame ass topics.

Have a great day!
  3. Megaquad macrumors 6502a

Jul 12, 2001
    for the love of god not another pc vs. mac thread!
  4. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

Jul 9, 2000
    i want a real debate...not zealot wars

i have just never been satisfied with the debates i have seen since i own both

i will hear from one who has only owned macs or one who has only owned pcs and hear biased comments like, "all macs suck because they are slow" or "pcs are awful because of windows" or blanket statements like that
  5. macmax macrumors regular

Sep 5, 2002
    i use both macs and pcs.

The Macs i love, as for the pc's, well, simply put, no, i truly hate them.
  6. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

Jul 9, 2000
    out of curiosity, why do you "hate" them?
  7. zarathustra macrumors 6502a

Jul 16, 2002
    Philadelphia, PA
    jefhatfield is an instigator. ;)

I was going to chew out the newbie that started this thread, when I realized it's our own jefhatfield - go figure.
  8. MacFan25 macrumors 68000

Jan 5, 2003
    I think that there are both advantages and disadvantages to both PCs and Macs. Although, I believe that Macs have more advantages. In my opinion, OS X runs smoother than Windows. Some PCs may be faster than some Macs. But, overall, I think that Macs are great computers.
  9. barkmonster macrumors 68020

Dec 3, 2001
    Political Correctness can have it's plus points but it also stops people from expressing their true opinions incase they offend someone accidentally even though they mean nobody any harm in what they're saying.

Macs are really handy when it's pouring down with the rain, also cartoon characters that spend their entire life in the pointless pursuit of garishly coloured cats are instantly recognisable because of them. The same goes for a slightly shabby looking detective in a '70s cop show.

10. G4scott macrumors 68020

Jan 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    pros- cheap, fast, awesome gaming systems, software base (but not entirely a pro... There are ways around it*)

cons- unreliable (in my experiences), troublesome, hardware compatibility can be a nightmare, security, viruses, becomes obsolete faster, windows...

pros- The OS, tight hardware/OS integration, user experience, stability, security, compatibility (this may seem odd, but how many computers can run Unix, MacOS X, MacOS 9, Linux, and Windows at the same time??? ), functionality and design of hardware (function over form, unless preceded by "i" [don't try to take apart an iMac, iBook, or anything else that starts with "i" that Apple makes...] just look at the PowerMacs... Easy access), the latest cutting edge useful technology** (Airport Extreme, FireWire 800...), the fact that we don't have to upgrade them every 6 months, and most importantly, more innovation behind Apple than all other computer companies combined...

Cons- expensive, last to get the latest software, not as many games (not exactly a con in my opinion,but others think it's bad...), slower processor speed (this doesn't necessarily mean bad performance, it just means that the competition is ahead...

* Most major windows apps are available for the Mac, and for those that aren't, they aren't probably the most processor intensive apps, and don't require the fastest computer, so programs like Virtual PC can let you run them on the Mac, no problem. When you need a PC program for a GPS or some other serial device, then you're screwed with a Mac (as far as I'm aware...) but not many people find themselves in that situation.

** Well, most of the time, if Apple thinks it's worth it...
  11. G4scott macrumors 68020

Jan 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    oh yeah, I forgot...

The Mac is far superior when the user has to do more thinking than the computer...

(which means everything except mindless games, and punching numbers all day, and even then, Macs are good at punching numbers...)
  12. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

Jul 9, 2000
    of all the many, many pc desktop makers, i think only sun, sgi, and alienware may make better desktops but they come at a price that is more than a mac

of all the pc laptops out there, only some sonys, toshibas, and panasonic toughbook make a longer lasting laptop product

as for software operating systems, either mac os 9.x and osx beat any version of windows hands down

for its track record, windows 2000 is the best pc os so far (unless xp gets more support for it industry-wise) of all the pc operating systems...for multimedia, i hate to say it, but of the windows side windows 98/98 SE is still best due to lots of software that is compatible with it

but overall, with the superior os, and "one" of the better longer lasting hardware companies out there, too...i choose macs for my home ans small office computer

until last year, i said macs had a strike against them due to high prices...but they have come into the pc price range of late and that has been good

...and you see, all you flamers out there, i wasn't trying to make this a flamebait thread...like my, uh, political threads:p ;)
  13. Gringo macrumors newbie

Jan 3, 2003
    South America Chile
    I'm a switcher before the switch campaigne. So I do have a vast experience with pc windows, little Linux and of course OS and X.

First of all, comparing hardwear is really ambiguis since you can have the best hardwear and not have the lattest OS to go with it. so I'd leave the hardwear out for the pc part... I mean, come on, if we had the posibility of running os X or mac OS in a pc machine under our specs... we'd be very happy.
    Now the hardwear/OS relation is excellent in g the Mac and very poor in a pc, so you have to say that that would be a first pro for the Mac

Everything you do in a pc can be done just the same in the mac. But the difference??? the ease of use of the mac OS or even X. so another pro for mac.

Viruses on pc and almost none on mac. Maybe os x will change this since it has a Unix core... but still a pro for mac again.

If you compare the Mac os 9 to the Windows 2000 or Me, that should be the equivalnce by date... to my personel experience, windows are badly built and fail on the most incredible things sometimes. On the other hand, 9 does too. It does fail and it does crash... but for me, it's a lot more simple to fix the problem in the 9 than in windows (any mindows). Generally the problem for windows would mean having to reinstall the os. In mac, it would mean a disk utility for directory damage or trashing the prefs file for the app and/or OS, or even as simple as adding more memory to the app. And if worst comes to worst, you do a clean install that will take no longer than 15 min compared to the 1 hour or more to the windows reintall. Besides, to be honest, the mac os doesn't fail that much either, even though it does, but it is far more stable.... in my experience.... so another pro for the mac.

If you compare the XP with OS X, you can see that both are strong OS's, but defintly will feel the power and posibilities that awaits for OS X. on the other hand, XP is almost the same thing as win 2000 and NT. it just looks differente and let you do different stuff, but not all that use full. Both OS's are very much in development, but I have felt and proven that OS x is far more advance then Xp is to the date. For a different view of it, you will find that XP doesn't actually bring apps of usefull nature or as inovative as OS X does. both have IE, Xp OE, a few simple games and a whole new interface. X has IE, Mail, itunes, iMovie, iPhoto and a lot of usefull utilities (some not that much) under aplications folder. So to me another pro for Mac.

In sum, pc 0 Pros and Mac 6 pros. Now that is me and the use that I give the machine... I don't use Designers apps, but belive that in that aspect, mac will have the pro too. Data processing, could be won by pc since they do have better apps for it and if you do so under a good OS as Linux or Unix, it could be even better.

But anyways, what use does it bring to compare an elite and refined machine like the ferrari to a ford pinto??? nothing at all, just that you get convinced that almost all can afford the Pinto and not the Ferrari... Besides. I do like being an elite!!

14. sturm375 macrumors 6502

Jan 8, 2002
    Bakersfield, CA
    for me it's PC for a desktop, and Mac for a notebook.

I build my own Desktops, can't do that with Apple, so that imeaditaly drops them out of the running.

As soon as Apple released OS 10.1, I ordered my TiPB. That was a mistake, if I had waited just a couple of weeks, I would have had a better computer that would actually run QE.

Let's compair hardware longevity:

Destop PC - Little over a year old, no faulty/replaced parts, still runs blazenly fast.
    Dual Athlon 1600+

Notebook (TiPB 500 RevA) - Can't complain, except I had to send it in to apple to replace the logic board. The Firewire quit on me. Nearing 1.5 yrs old.

Compair OSs.
    On my desktop, I use Win2K Pro. I have never, I repeat, never had a crash. This is my main web surfing/gaming/work machine at home.

Notebook - Currently OS 10.2.3. Since going to 10.2 no crashing. I have had 3-4 crashes, including some really weird stuff. All said, a very good showing, A+ in anybody's book.

They each have their place for me. I haven't yet found a more complete package in Notebooks that Apple's offerings. On the other hand, I don't see the value in their desktops compaired to what I can build for myself. Part of that comes from the fact that I enjoy working inside a computer. This is not for everybody, just me.

Someone ask if a PC could operate as many OSs as a Mac, I'll have to find the link, but somebody once put 24 OSs on a PC. Than included several differnt Windows versions, DOS, BSD, Linux, Unix, and Solaris. Try that on an Apple!
  15. Gringo macrumors newbie

Jan 3, 2003
    South America Chile
    Now that is very objective and has some very good points...

I have to say that pc'vs Mac's aren't the main subject, but are they good enough for what each individual needs??? that would be the point i guess.

Mac satisfies me, not entierly cause of course, Do too feel that I'd prefere to get my own computer and assemble it to my own specs and be able to run 10.2.3 But that isn't a reality.

I don't like working under Windows, any windows, nor Linux nor unix.... there not my thing.... I like Mac os and x... My brother preferes a pc and is happy with it... as long as he is happy and can stand the viruses, so be it.

to be frank... a friend the other day said to me, while I was checking out his new powerfull pc... why do you compare it to a mac all the time.... it makes you look like you need to justify your preference of a Mac. And you know... I belive it to be true... I found my self compareing it to my Mac and telling him that I don't have viruses and that I do the same thing and that mine is faster an that mine, and mine, and mine.... felt like a kid... If I like the mac, so be it... I won't change it for a windows pc nore any other pc... so I'll stick to what I like and feel more confortable...