Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

initialsBB

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2010
Oh boy... I'm not getting any younger... this thread got me playing Crash Bandicoot 3 again ! That is probably one of my favorite games of all time. :D

Final Fantasy VII (E) (Disc 1) [SCES-00867](1).7z
That's a ZIP compressed file, so unzip it. If you are using PCSX reloaded, it only takes .ISO files, so if your unzipped file is .BIN or anything else, try renaming the extension to .ISO

marymon

macrumors newbie
May 21, 2012
I've been trouble shooting this program for hours but to no avail. If I try to open an ISO the screen stays black. If I try to open a cd-rom, an error message comes up saying "could not check cd-rom!"
I've seen some people report a similar error message being solved by going into plugin preferences, but I can't even access the preferences for the program. The option is grey-ed out in the drop-down menu.

v0llrath

macrumors newbie
Jul 8, 2012
hello.. yes this seems to be an old thread with good information.. i have pcsxr and since the last time i used a ps1 emulator, i notice that the image files are now compressed with something called .ecm.. anyway, this guide was very helpful, i got the files from this site:
http://www.neillcorlett.com/cmdpack/

and the program gives me an error that it can't find an application called 'rgs'. needless to say google hasn't turned up anything. please see attachment for more information (.png of the error message)

can anyone help me? or recommend a different application? i hate the terminal and command line apps anyway, but it's not my main problem so no worries in any case.

cheers!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-07-08 at 18.34.35.png
    Screen Shot 2012-07-08 at 18.34.35.png
    18.6 KB · Views: 10,373

Madd the Sane

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2010
Utah
First of all, if unecm is a command-line tool, you should just call it from the command line, like so:
Code:
./unecm ./medievalii.bin.ecm
If you are trying to run the ECM GUI app, you need to recompile the app to Intel.
I have made a Cocoa port of ECM GUI (the original is AppleScript), but I haven't posted it anywhere yet.

edit: I have uploaded my ECM GUI port onto GitHub.

Last edited:

v0llrath

macrumors newbie
Jul 8, 2012
First of all, if unecm is a command-line tool, you should just call it from the command line, like so:
Code:
./unecm ./medievalii.bin.ecm
If you are trying to run the ECM GUI app, you need to recompile the app to Intel.
I have made a Cocoa port of ECM GUI (the original is AppleScript), but I haven't posted it anywhere yet.

edit: I have uploaded my ECM GUI port onto GitHub.

hey thanks very much! it works well..

so now forgive an idiot once more but what do i do with the remaining ape file and bin file?? pcsxr won't open either one.

Madd the Sane

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2010
Utah
There should be a .bin/.cue file combo. if the .ape file is text, try renaming it to .cue and see if PCSX-R can use that.

stavs

macrumors newbie
Apr 6, 2008
I have everything installed and set up but I'm having some issues. I have a couple games and they load. When I get to the menus though, i cant select anything. None of the keys work. Any ideas?

Madd the Sane

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2010
Utah
Check your controller settings under Preferences, Plug-ins.
I myself would recommend you use a gamepad. An XBox 360 gamepad with Mac drivers are the only ones that have Force Feedback available to them in Lion, but any controller with 10 buttons and a hat or direction keys will work fine.

stavs

macrumors newbie
Apr 6, 2008
Check your controller settings under Preferences, Plug-ins.
I myself would recommend you use a gamepad. An XBox 360 gamepad with Mac drivers are the only ones that have Force Feedback available to them in Lion, but any controller with 10 buttons and a hat or direction keys will work fine.

Thanks for the response. I have an XBOX 260 wireless adapter coming today thankfully. This seems to be a system wide issue for me. Its odd in that it is only affecting PCSX, Mame OS X, and the other game emulators. I need to figure out what I installed that screwed everything up. I created a new user account and everything works fine on that account. I guess I will migrate everything over to the new account and start fresh unless anyone has any insight on what might be the culprit?

v0llrath

macrumors newbie
Jul 8, 2012
hi really sorry i haven't been at this for a while.. i unrar the 1st file and there is an .ape and .7z, so unzip the 7z and there's the .bin.ecm, which processes fine using the great ecm cocoa application. however when i rename the .ape to .cue and try to load it says (pcsx, that is): 'the operation couldn't be completed. error opening CDR plugin'

i guess it's beyond me unless there's a simple way to get it to work

cheers for the help anyway!!

There should be a .bin/.cue file combo. if the .ape file is text, try renaming it to .cue and see if PCSX-R can use that.

Ian-

macrumors newbie
Aug 20, 2012
Hello.

Thanks a lot for this helpful thread and your introduction in using PCSX.

I did exactly what "Spulture" had written in the first place, but every time
I start PCSX a window appears which says that no Bios-file has been found.

I downloaded several Bios-files (U.S./Europe/Japan) and had put them into the right directory (only one file for each try, of course) but it didn't help.
I live in Europe, by the way.

PCSX does even start though but immediately crashes if some action is going on in the game.

I'd be very happy, if someone could help! :)

----------
P.S. I'm running Mac OS X 10.5.8 Leopard. The game would be Tomb Raider Chronicles.

Last edited:

Ian-

macrumors newbie
Aug 20, 2012
EDIT:
Was mistaken with the wrong directory for the files.
Works fine now!

Thanks.

Last edited:

Dawnvibe

macrumors newbie
May 29, 2013
It's NOT a Reply It is rather a Question

Hi To All the community
I'm new
I downloaded earlier the PCSX 1.5
And I have Problems
1st
PCSX did not create the Pcsx Folder in the Library/Application Support
2nd
PCSX did not find BIOS
3d
PCSX did not find cd plug-in

What should I do ???

PLS HELP
TNX in advance
Cheers from Greece

SavageMongoose

macrumors newbie
Jun 20, 2013
memory card bug.

Bare with me as I am a bit new to the emulator world so this is likely something simple.

I am running PCXS on a Mac and when I save a game into the memory card, it appears to save fine. In fact, if I "Reset" the game and check for my saved file, its still there. However, the moment I exit PCSX all my saved files are gone. I have tried running Bios and checking the memory cards directly but they are not there.

Also, and this might be the source of the first problem I mentioned, every time I try to close PCSX it crashes. Any help would be very much appreciated.

vincewhirlwind

macrumors newbie
Aug 21, 2013
Burned PS1 cd-r won't run on pcsx

Hi there

I'm using Test Build 3 of PCSX on my G4 Powerbook, running OS X 10.5.8.

I burned a cue file (the bin file was in the folder on the desktop with it, so it did burn) of a PS1 game to CD-R (Maxell, so decent brand) using Toast Titanium 9. Once it was cooked I spun it up, having followed Splture's generous 'how to' guide while setting up PCSX.

It almost worked. There was life, but not the sort I'd hoped for. Just a bitmappy green field with blocks of colour, and a highly distorted rendition of the audio.

I tried reloading maybe 3 or 4 times, but always the same result.

I've read that burning an img file rather than a cue file can produce better results, but I really don't know if that's true or not.

Has anyone encountered this particular version of events themselves, and can anyone offer any suggestions?

Many thanks in anticipation.

Madd the Sane

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2010
Utah
I don't know if that version of PCSX supports ISOs/disc images.

I am planning on releasing a new version of PCSX-R this coming up Monday. The system requirements will be OS X 10.7; controller is recommended, but not required. A valid PlayStation 1 BIOS is highly recommended.

Akashshr

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2013
Problem with PCSX-R Disk change

Hey all, Please help me solve this problem, its really been a long time I am stuck with it.
Or re direct me to the right thread,

I am using PCSX-R playing legend of the dragoon ( 4 CD game ).
I just finished the first one, and at the "please insert disk 2" screen, I am lost and dont know what to do. I have tried many things.

Things I have tried:-
1) There is an "Eject CD" option then just hangs the application.

2) On the "Pease insert disk 2" screen I just go to file and click recently run disks and choose disk 2 there in the menu. Then the game displays, "Please while while checking for right disk" and then displays "wrong CD inserted"

Please I really want to play this game, you are god if you can help me figure this out.

PS- I run it on the MAC version of PCSX-Reloaded 1.9.93
I am using ISO files to load the game disks
I have got to the end of the first CD by using freeze state and Defrost state! In game memory card dont work, even though I have them set up. *Thats a different problem*

Thanks everyone!

Laureca

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2013
black screen

hi .. I'm new in this stuff .. i've done all the instructions .. But i still couldn't load the game .. I tried to replace the cdrmooby plugins . but it won't work.. all i get is the black screen .. HELP please .. what should I do? ..
I'm using macbook pro 13" , version 10.7.5 by the way .

Madd the Sane

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2010
Utah
Are you using the OS X version? Because I'm pretty sure the OS X version doesn't have, or even support, the cdrmooby plug-ins.

Laureca

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2013
i think it's os x version ..
so, i can't play the game ? are there any solution? i really wanted to play it ..:confused:

Akashshr

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2013
No plugin or anything special required

If you want to start fresh, follow these instructions EXACTLY! . http://theultralinx.com/2012/06/installing-playstation-emulator-pcsx-reloaded-os-lion.html

Download that emulator.

get your isos from the web, a simple google serach will help you there
download the rest of the disks from that site.

It works good with my macbook pro ( Mac OS X Lion 10.7.5)

I did run into the glitch's i spoke of earlier but just remember mainly, dont use save state(only memory card saves) also when you get to the end of disk 2 dont dragoon on the last battle and you will be caught up to me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.