PDA buying, what's a good choice?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Madmic23, Dec 14, 2004.

1. Madmic23 macrumors 6502a

Ok, I was thinking about trading in my iMac for an iBook so I could do some couch computing, but looking at what I'd actually be doing from the couch, I think a PDA might be able to handle my needs. I want to check my mail, browse some websites, and stream media like photos, videos, and maybe mp3's to the PDA. If I could also use it as a remote control for my TV, that would be a bonus.
    What are my choices for something like this? I currently have an iMac running OS X and a PC running Windows XP. No wireless capabilities yet, I'll pick that hardware based on what I would need with the PDA in the setup.
    What are the best options with prices? Any input would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

2. lacrossegoalie4 macrumors member

Sadly, the HP Ipaq's seem to be the best in wireless bang for your buck. They all run a version of Windows Mobile.

3. howard macrumors 68020

howard

i've got an ipaq and its pretty nice,

you'll have to buy 3rd party sync software, i got mark/space's missing sync, but i think i should have gotten pocketmac's software, apparently it is better.

you can do pretty much all the things mentioned above on an ipaq, i don't have a wifi one, so i'd need to get a card for it... i should be able to use the internet connection of computer via bluetooth but i havn't been able to set that up

4. ozone macrumors 6502

ozone

You know... you have to ask yourself if you'd really be satisfied browing the web using a PDA. I have a Toshiba e800 and despite the fact that it has a 4" screen and good wifi, browsing the web on such small devices quite frankly sucks. IMHO, you're better off with a small laptop.