Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by jer446, Apr 22, 2006.

1. jer446 macrumors 6502a

Dec 28, 2004
    Im traveling to europe this summer, and probably wont have a cell phone, just a calling card.. i will be staying in hotels.. so im assuming a lot of them will have wireless.. Do you think buying a pda would be a good idea, so i can email my friends etc? Im not looking for anything expensive, just need bluetooth. Is it a pain to do? Any info would be great...
  2. kbonnel macrumors 6502

Mar 1, 2004
    In a nice place..
    Many hotels / B&B have wired/wireless internet, but you will want to check to make sure yours will. (smaller, cheaper locations might not). If you want to use your PDA, you will need to have wifi built in (or add on) in order to gain access, at which time I don't see why it wouldn't be possible to check your email. I am picking up the PALM TX in a week or so, and that should work great. If you are going to be traveling for a long period of time ( month or so ), I would look at getting a cellphone to use. (pick up a GSM quad band on ebay or something), and see if you can get a SIM card in Europe (prepaid or something). Nothing worse than needing to make a call and not being able to fnd a payphone.

Of course if you don't plan on using your PDA after your trip, it would be kind of a waste, so it might be a better idea to look for Internet PC's while you travel. Here in Sweden we have them at 7/11's, and I have seen them in other places in my travels.

3. gog macrumors regular

May 13, 2005
    Jobs' kitchen cupboard.

I use the tungsten E2, which is the best value for money palm on the market, in my opinion.
    Has bluetooth and works nicely with my mac.
    I don't use wifi for my palm, but E2 is capable of this (with a little added expense) and has built in apps for that purpose. The ease of use is of course a little clunkier without a keyboard.
  4. jer446 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Dec 28, 2004
    can you give me more information about the cell phone thing? We have looked all over in trying to get me a cellphone, but every place like tmobile and cingular charge like 1.50 a minute to call the united states.. When im in europe can i buy the prepaid sim card, if so, where? Could i buy it online? What are the rates?
  5. Mammoth macrumors 6502a

Nov 29, 2005
    Vodafone is the best way to get a prepaid SIM card, I'm not sure how much they are, but it should work in your phone.
  6. calebjohnston macrumors 68000

Jan 24, 2006
    No laptop? Like totally buy 5 MBP's!

Like totallyyyyyyy.

Totallllyyyyy shutup, Caleb.

omgggggggggggggggggggg BBQ
  7. MacsomJRR macrumors 6502a

Jul 8, 2003
    San Diego
    No cell phone? Get a cell-phone PDA combo.

EDIT: Mainly b/c you'll be able to snap pictures (albeit crappy, low quality ones) and send to family and friends + e-mail from anywhere with reception + surf the web + keep track of your schedules + to dos + and on and on and on...although if you don't have much experience using a PDA there can be a little bit of a learning curve figuring out how to really fit all the features it boasts into your life. It sounds silly but you have to get used to using it before it really becomes useful.