Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ldecs

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 6, 2004
I am a new mac user and am wanting to buy a new PDA. I'm sure this question has been asked 1000 times and I apologize, but does anyone know if mac plans to make a PDA anytime soon? Which PDAs are most mac compatible? looking at the Palm Tungsten T3 right now...advice would be greatly appreciated - thanks!

JasonL

macrumors regular
Feb 13, 2004
Ware, MA
There have been rumors that Apple is working on their own; but I would not count on it.

The T3 is very nice. It is quite powerful and the screen is neat, too. Someone I work with has one. I'm happy enough with my Tungsten E as I don't need wireless access with it (have the PB for that). It all depends on what you need it for. For example, all of the good Sony models are coming with cameras now, which I don't need (or want to pay for, that's what I have a digicam for).

Palm OS 6 isn't going to come with Mac syncing capabilities; but there should be 3rd party suport. Good luck.

yoman

macrumors 6502a
Nov 11, 2003
In the Bowels of the Cosmos
ldecs said:
I am a new mac user and am wanting to buy a new PDA. I'm sure this question has been asked 1000 times and I apologize, but does anyone know if mac plans to make a PDA anytime soon? Which PDAs are most mac compatible? looking at the Palm Tungsten T3 right now...advice would be greatly appreciated - thanks!

you could consider the Tungsten C which currently has a $100 rebate offer until March 31st. Looking on Amazon this puts:

the T3 at $379.99
the Tungsten C at $436.99 - $100 Rebate = $336.99

Just a thought. :)

baby duck monge

macrumors 68000
Feb 16, 2003
Memphis, TN
i was actually about to post a thread asking a similar question. funny how that works. anyone know anything good/bad about the tungsten t2? i was thinking about buying one for my dad for his birthday. thoughts?

ps - sorry if this is a hijack, but maybe ldecs wants to know about this palm too?

cubist

macrumors 68020
Jul 4, 2002
Muncie, Indiana
You know that 90% of what most people use a PDA for can be done with a Palm-III - available used for $30 to $50. Besides, it uses regular AAA batteries; rechargable NiMHs work fine.

You'll need a Palmconnect USB, Keyspan, or Belkin serial to USB adapter. That'll add another $10 or so. Works with Palm Desktop 4 under Mac OS X perfectly.

Stolid

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2004
Norfolk, VA, USA
I can't state anything on Mac compatability as I haven't purchased my own yet; and I know I'll get a lot of hate for this just because its MS-oriented, but I compared Palms and PocketPC and I have to say the Pocket is just better (IMO).
It has a (relatively) high resolution color screen as a minimum point of entry, a better input system (gives you a choice of 4 in newer models, 3 in older), and just plain 'feels better' to me.
And as a developer I have to say that I'd rather make stuff for the Pocket (xScale is just pretty).
My worry would be the Mac software not being up to par; on which I can't comment for above stated reasons. So here's your 'comment against the tide'

But, as a summary, from what I've seen Palms are for 'Pro EBusiness Solutions' and PocketPCs are for 'TechNerd/Customizer/PowerUsers'; if you think you're from the first than go Palm. But if you like 'toys' then go PocketPC.

Hope this helped (albeit I realize it fights the tide)
~Stolid

filmmaker2002

macrumors regular
Jun 6, 2003
Milwaukee
baby duck monge said:
i was actually about to post a thread asking a similar question. funny how that works. anyone know anything good/bad about the tungsten t2? i was thinking about buying one for my dad for his birthday. thoughts?

ps - sorry if this is a hijack, but maybe ldecs wants to know about this palm too?

I got my dad a T2 for Christmas and it is a major step up from his m515. The T2 is nice, and it was great when I bought it the weekend it came out. But the T3 is SO much better with it's bigger screen, greater memory, and faster processor. Go for the T3 if you can afford it.

Capt Underpants

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2003
Austin, Texas
ldecs said:
but does anyone know if mac plans to make a PDA anytime soon?
Steve Jobs said something about the days of PDAs being numbered as the convergence of products continues. Don't remember exactly what he said, but it made it seem like another Apple PDA is VERy unlikely.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.