PDAs...need some advice

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by MattG, Jan 17, 2006.

1. MattG macrumors 68040

MattG

Those of you who use some sort of PDA device -- what do you use?

My Palm Tungsten T finally died. I recently ordered a Palm TX, and after one replacement and weeks of frustration, I returned it for a refund. The problems weren't Mac related or anything, just a buggy piece of equipment.

So what are my alternatives? Are there any decent looking (not huge like most I've seen) Pocket PC PDAs out there, and are they Mac compatible? Is there something else I should be looking at?

It's times like this I wish Apple did have some kind of PDA.

2. Temujin macrumors 6502a

Temujin

I've got the HP Ipaq 1955 http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/s..._all_ipaqs&catLevel=2&product_code=FA629A#ABA

It's got a fast processor, 300 mhz ;), which makes it possible for me to watch divx/xvid mediafiles. I use it primarily as a mp3/video player.
    It's got wifi, bluetooth and ir. Can't get more connected than that.
    As to mac sync I would'nt know, use it on my MS box.

Used to have an old PalmV, I think that's what it was called. But the monochrome display didn't make me all that excited.

I would go for a big screen, slim case, at least bluetooth and wifi and a fast processor. And I would stay with HP.

3. crdean1 macrumors 6502a

crdean1

I use a combination of devices. Do you want to use the pda as a phone? Also, what all are you going to be doing with it?

I use the HP iPaq 4155 (I think the 1955 listed above is the current version of mine), and the Blackberry 8700c.

I like the iPaq for school and wifi. I also like the fact that I can carry around my school papers, keep track of assignments, etc.

I use the BB for work. Since I don't need to carry around work documents electronically, the BB is perfect because I can send and receive email, keep track of my contacts and appointments.

I sync the iPaq with my home computer (powerbook) using MarkSpace Missing Sync, and sync my BB with my work computer.

Since I use the BB as a phone while at work, I take my SIM card out when I get home and put it into my black RAZR phone to carry with the iPaq. It has worked out to be the best combination for me.

If you want a phone/pda combination, I highly recommend the Treo 650 (or 700(verizon). Keep in mind that Palm will be releasing 3 Treos this year, so keep an eye out for that. Verizons version, the 700w, has Windows pocket pc on it, all of the other carriers' Treos have Palm OS.

I wouldn't waste my time on any other pda's than the Treo, iPaq or Blackberry. All have good customer service.

4. MattG thread starter macrumors 68040

MattG

Well, I'd love to have a combination PDA/phone, but they provide a phone for me at work, and there's no way I can talk them into buying me one of those.

I'll mostly be using it for business...keeping contacts, keeping track of important dates, and so on. WiFi would be nice; I'd love to be able to check my mail on this thing.

5. crdean1 macrumors 6502a

crdean1

If they provide a phone for you at work on say TMobile or Cingular, then you could purchase a pda phone like a treo on ebay or from Tmobile or Cingular, and just change out the sim card from your provided work phone. If they don't go for that, I would get the iPaq.

6. mpw Guest

This would be the king of smart phones but it actual only runs PPC. It's probably still the best out there but you'll have to sync via the missing sync etc.