Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by l4t13, Oct 15, 2006.

1. l4t13 macrumors regular

Oct 15, 2006
    what do you guys use?

id like one that went well with a white macbook.

i will mostly be using it for recording lectures and other school related affairs.

i was thinking about something along the lines of a palm life drive. not sure though.

id like to have 802.11b wireless and bluetooth.

im considering this one:http://www.palm.com/us/products/mobilemanagers/lifedrive/specs.epl

but would like other suggestions as well =)
  2. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

Jan 28, 2005
    American Riviera
    Are you seriously suggesting that your criteria for a PDA is that it 'match my white Macbook'? What do you plan on doing with it? What OS do you prefer? We need more info before we can help.
  3. l4t13 thread starter macrumors regular

Oct 15, 2006
    sorry it is 345 am, kind of out of it. i updated first post.
  4. swingline macrumors member

Aug 9, 2005
  5. tominated macrumors 68000

Jul 7, 2006
    Queensland, Australia
  6. andy89 macrumors 6502

May 22, 2005
    Folkestone, England
  7. Sawtoothdude macrumors regular

Sep 3, 2006
    Tungsten C is a fast Highres Palm pilot with Builtin wifi and keyboard and it's way cheaper than lifedrive.
  8. McGiord, Oct 15, 2006
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2011

McGiord macrumors 601

Oct 5, 2003
    Dark Castle
    Life Drive is too bulky

If you are going to carry it in your pocket it's too bulky.

If you just want to organize your life and have some recording capabilities, your decision is based on your budget.

About the OS I positevely like the Palm OS, it's very easy to use and reliable, check here a taste of all the software available:

In my particular opinion the LifeDrive is too bulky, it have a nice memory size 4Gb, and many features, but you can do all that with your macbook.
    You can consider other Palm models that you can use 2Gb or 1Gb SD card to have a good amount of memory, also remember you can always sync.

For the price and the size I would prefer the Treo Smartphone 700p.
    If you want to add the wifi just buy an SD accesory that allows you to connect it, verify the availability of this accessory, for the some model the PalmOne WIFI card is available.

I would recommend you the Palm TX instead of the Life Drive if you can live without the recording feature.

Here you have a sample of the accessories you can get, also there you can check accessories for all the other models.

I have been using a Tre90 since 2002 and it still works for me with my personal and professional tasks. However I don't have the wireless capability, soon I will replace it with a TX when I also buy my new Intel Mac.

The usage you are going to give it is the key for your decision.

If you are only going to just record, better get a mic for your ipod.

Is your cellphone capable of recording voice?

The 700p gives you many more features for a similar Life Drive price.

Have fun with your new Palm.
  9. cschreppel macrumors regular

Jul 17, 2006
    Boston, MA
    Yeah, here's a vote for the Treo 700p. Don't know if you need the phone capability, but it's definitely nice to have them all in one. I have the Treo 600 - no Bluetooth or WiFi - but I still love it.

Curious to see how the new Treo 680 - the ones that FINALLY got rid of the antenna - are going to be on Verizon's network when they come around.

If you don't need a phone/palm, get something with the Palm OS, so easy to navigate.
  10. dreamsINdigital macrumors 6502

Sep 4, 2006
    I've heard bad things about the LifeDrive. Constantly needs to be reset and it's slow due to the hard drive instead of the flash memory. People say the TX outperforms the LifeDrive, which is what I plan to get. However, the TX doesn't have a microphone.

There aren't any signs that Palm is releasing a new PDA this year, unfortunately. :(
  11. Sawtoothdude macrumors regular

Sep 3, 2006
    The Tungsten C also Does have an external Microphone.
    I would choose from that or a Treo
  12. l4t13 thread starter macrumors regular

Oct 15, 2006
    hmm, anyone comment on dells axim?

any other brands i should look at?
  13. dreamsINdigital macrumors 6502

Sep 4, 2006
    Personally I'd prefer a Palm since there are so many apps available.

I don't know much about PocketPCs, but Dell Axims seem to be pretty popular. Check out the HP iPAQs as well if you want to go that route.