PDF Export From Pages - Fine On Screen, Crappy On Printer

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Mr Skills, Feb 1, 2007.

1. Mr Skills macrumors 6502a

Mr Skills

I've made a nice flyer in Pages to promote my work, and used "export to PDF" ('best' quality) to make a file for printing. I took this to my local Pront-A-Print and discovered some funny artefacts that were only there on the print, not on screen.

Specifically, every element that in pages had an invisible box around it (e.g. pictures, text boxes) now sits in a slightly lighter box-shaped patch on the printed page.

The print man said this was a problem with the way the PDF was rendered - it had not been 'flattened' properly and the different layers were showing through. The problem was not visible in Preview or on the print shop PC's Acrobat - only when printed.

It was obviously not a physical printer problem. But is it really my problem making the PDF or their problem processing it? How can I get round the problem, given that I can't see it until it is printed?

2. Mr Skills thread starter macrumors 6502a

Mr Skills

I just did a test print straight from Preview on my inkjet printer. No funny boxes...

3. telecomm macrumors 65816

telecomm

I don't have any help to offer on this, but I just wanted to note that I've seen this problem before too. I had a poster printed (created in Pages, then exported to PDF), and (round) bullets had semi-transparent square boxes around them.

4. kgarner macrumors 68000

kgarner

The printer guy is right. The image wasn't flattened properly and what is happening is that the PDF has rasterized the overlapping element and it has created this odd shift on color.

I know how to deal with the problem when using InDesign and Acrobat Pro, but I don't know if there is a way to do it Pages. Wish I had better advice for you.

5. Mr Skills thread starter macrumors 6502a

Mr Skills

Do you think saving as PDF from the Print dialogue might yield better results?

How would I know it had worked without paying for it to be printed again?

If anyone wants me to send them the PDF or Pages file I'm happy to...

6. Mr Skills thread starter macrumors 6502a

Mr Skills

i think I've got a workaround. If I load the image in Seashore I can save it out as a very hi-res TIFF file. I am assuming this will be completely 'flat' and WYSIWYG - am I right?

Also, I can choose whether the TIFF is RGB or CMYK. Should I choose CMYK? I did notice that the printout was darker than I expected and I don't know if this had something to do with it....