Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
How can i transfer a pdf file from my my web based email account to my iPhone?

machtv

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2014
why not just leave the pdf file on the email and when you need to access it you do so via the email? but to specifically answer your question the problem is that apple doesn't let you access the file system part of the iphone. so in theory the file is probably stored somewhere inside the iphone you just can't access it. so much for great apple slogan "it just works" because in this case it doesn't. atleast i don't know of a way to do it. maybe someone eles has a way and will chime in.

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
why not just leave the pdf file on the email and when you need to access it you do so via the email?
I need to upload the pdf file in a web form, so that's why I wanted it to be somewhere in my iPhone!

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
Well i need to upload pdf documents to the iCloud drive.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
You can open that PDF in mails app, and save it to some other apps. If that app supports share sheet, which means you can select any file stored in that app, you are able to use that PDF into your web form.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
why not just leave the pdf file on the email and when you need to access it you do so via the email? but to specifically answer your question the problem is that apple doesn't let you access the file system part of the iphone. so in theory the file is probably stored somewhere inside the iphone you just can't access it. so much for great apple slogan "it just works" because in this case it doesn't. atleast i don't know of a way to do it. maybe someone eles has a way and will chime in.
Sounds like the problem is more your own ignorance.

Anyways, to the OP's question, open the pdf file in a pdf reader app. I recommend either documents, pdf expert or notability.

Reactions: Analog Kid

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Sounds like the problem is more your own ignorance.

Anyways, to the OP's question, open the pdf file in a pdf reader app. I recommend either documents, pdf expert or notability.
Or even the built-in iBooks.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Or even the built-in iBooks.
I can't recommend iBooks. No annotation features, plus it's practically impossible to export pdf files once they are in iBooks.

With a document container app such as documents, I can easily share them with other people with the tap of an icon, even whatsapping the file if need be.

Seriously, try documents. It's free and you won't regret it.

Documents 5 - File system, PDF reader, media player and cloud manager by Readdle
https://appsto.re/sg/Vw_Vv.i

Reactions: ZombiePete

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
I got Adobe Reader, but okay say i open it,what is next?

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
I got Adobe Reader, but okay say i open it,what is next?
You have to get the pdf into the app first.

In the email, open the pdf and tap on "open in", followed by the app of your choice.

Then open that app and the file should be inside, ready for your perusal.

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
I'm trying to save pdf files from my web based email account into my iPhone.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
I'm trying to save pdf files from my web based email account into my iPhone.
To do this I also highly recommend you use Documents. This app even supports iOS 9 item picker, which essentially allows you to choose anything app supports to upload.

Adobe reader is not designed for this purpose.

Reactions: ZombiePete

tj.varone

macrumors newbie
May 20, 2016
A TIP a while back from Apple on the attachment pdf. Touch the attachment and it will pop up a list....then pick save attachment to iCloud There you have it

Reactions: zoran

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
I do click on the pdf attachment BUT iCloud isn't there. Am I doing something wrong?

tj.varone

macrumors newbie
May 20, 2016
I do click on the pdf attachment BUT iCloud isn't there. Am I doing something wrong?
Long tap on the PDFs.....then you should see save attachment. When you do this it should bring up the iCloud. Will say something. Like export file here

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
Long tap on the PDFs.....then you should see save attachment. When you do this it should bring up the iCloud. Will say something. Like export file here
Its not happening on my web based e-mail (yahoo) :-(

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Are you referring to "Documents 5"?

Isnt that strange? No?
Yes, I refer to "Documents 5".
I say that because that app is basically just a PDF viewer. Nothing more. Plus you cannot open PDF stored inside Adobe Reader, which would not help you use your PDF to fill form.

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
I use Tiny Scanner+ - but I have a feeling my usage may not fit yours. I scan TONS of papers into PDF and use this to email/upload PDFs to my cloud storage.

To Store PDFs? Google Drive or iCloud or Spideroak or any cloud service. iCloud is probably easiest for sending/saving PDFs in my experience.

Yeah, I just installed Yahoo Mail and sent myself a PDF ... no option to "share" it to iCloud. Only OneDrive and Google Drive. How interesting.

hovscorpion12

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2011
USA
PDF files can be saved to iBooks to view. (In my experience) I have have not tried seeing if it saves to iCloud Drive

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.