pdf files in safari too slow

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by signatus, May 25, 2008.

1. macrumors member

signatus

Hi there!

Being new to Apple, I don't know if this is normal or not. When I open a pdf file with safari (as a link on a web page), Safari goes very slow, and spends too long to read the file. Is this normal, or do I have to install any plugin to make it faster?
    It doesn't happen with Firefox, btw.

2. macrumors 68000

can you go into more detail?

do you mean the whole of safari slows, or just seems to be slower when you are actively reading the pdf
    and what do you mean 'read' the file - as in download?

3. thread starter macrumors member

signatus

The whole of Safari slows (the arrow changes into a spinning coloured circle) until the pdf file is actually open. Once it's open, there's no problem.

4. Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

That is Safari loading the pdf, so the larger the pdf the worse the problem. There is an adobe plugin for safari however that is so much slower.

5. macrumors 68000

DO NOT use the adobe plugin - slow slow slow
    i suppose youll just have to deal with it, i sometimes get that problem with flash heavy pages

6. macrumors Core

alphaod

Either use Firefox or right click and download the PDF. It's slow as it has to download the PDF because it can be opened; no many people optimize the PDF for fast web-viewing.

7. thread starter macrumors member

signatus

Thanks for feedback.

8. macrumors newbie

solution for slow pdf in safari

just remove the AdobePDFViewer.plugin from the /library/internet plug-ins and your safari will surf again at light speed !

9. macrumors 68000

e12a

better to do a "save link as"

10. macrumors newbie

slow while viewing PDF

I got similar problem. After opening PDF, when I view a single large image enclosed in a single page PDF, it's smoothy while I pan & zoom under iOS 3.2. But now under iOS 4, it's no more smoothy. Can I tune Safari to make it smoothy again?

11. macrumors member

I know this thread is slightly antiquated, but I was having this issue too, and then I followed the instructions here, and removed the plugin, (there was actually another plugin that was something like AdobePDFViewerANAPI.plugin, which I also removed, just to be sure) and it is indeed lightning fast again. Thanks.