PDF files showing up as APP files?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by SpaceJello, Jan 30, 2007.

1. SpaceJello macrumors 6502

I am not sure why this is happening but i have some old pdfs of software manuals that i want to keep around, but they are showing up as as APPs instead of PDFs. They still open, but just weird.

Any possibility?

p.s. i also changed the files' extension from app to pdf, and still it is showing up as apps.

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

One of the machines at work is doing this and I haven't spent all that long trying to work out why or to fix it because they seem to still be working normally. I tried the usual repairing permissions and restarting but that didn't get me anywhere. Just out of interest, does it happen in all user accounts for you? For me, it only happens in one user account, the others are fine. This means it's something related to the Home folder. :)

3. SpaceJello thread starter macrumors 6502

I don't have other user accounts on my computer... so I am not quite sure if that is the case. I will try on another account or connecte computer in viewing them.

The PDFs I have are manuals/help references for a bunch of program that I have migrated from an older computer to my current one. I wonder if it has to do with that.... but I doubt that help viewers call their respective PDF reference files as "apps", or do they?

They work fine, just curious what is going on that's all :)

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Well, set up a new account in System Preferences and test if the problem carries over. Testing on a different machine won't really show us anything. Also, open Terminal and paste the following:

Code:
    sudo periodic daily weekly monthly

Then press RETURN. You'll be asked for your password and then Terminal should run your maintenance scripts. This may help a little bit... :)