PDF from Mac, howto open on PC?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by 2ms, Oct 21, 2006.

1. 2ms macrumors 6502

I just bought my first Mac last night. I still need to use some applications only available on PC tho. So I'm trying to install bootcamp. However, I do not have a printer. So I attempted to print out the directions (a 21 page pdf that comes with bootcamp install files) on a friend's PC because it's the only printer I have access to at the moment. The problem is that the PC won't recognize what kind of file it is. It does not recognize that it is a pdf. Instead, it shows .app as the filetype in name.

Is there any way to get a pdf that came from a Mac to open on a PC?

2. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

PDFs are universal, but you need a PDF reader to open them. Mac OS X comes with Preview, so you don't need any extra software, but AFAIK Windows doesn't and you need to download Acrobat Reader.

The PDF should not have .app in the filename. Are you sure you copied the right file? Does it work if you change it to .pdf?

3. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Open up the .app folder and navigate to Contents/Resources/English.lproj, and you'll find the actual PDF in there. I have no idea why they "wrapped" it in an app bundle.

4. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

Ooooooooh, I missed the part where the OP mentioned it was the Boot Camp instructions. Yes, they put it in a .app for some frikkin' reason, I don't get it (the older version of Boot Camp came with it as just a PDF).

5. 2ms thread starter macrumors 6502

very strange to me...When I straight click on the package (of which the icon, by the way, says nothing about app or anything but rather says pdf on it) it straight opens in the mac pdf reader. However, when I right click on it I see option for viewing packages contents -- the only indication I ever have that it is a package. Anyway, I followed ur instructions and now have a .pdf file so am putting it on thumb drive, sneaker netting to printer now