.pdf question, come on who can answer

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jon Gotty, Sep 28, 2006.

1. jon Gotty macrumors newbie

ok, i wrote an essay on word. saved it as pdf.
    but all the images i had on the word document that where high in transparancy came out in their full colour, with no tran.
    does anyone here no why.
    thanx

2. jon Gotty thread starter macrumors newbie

3. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

It means the effects you make on images in Word do not translate into PDF's. You will need to paste your images into word with the transparency already applied to the picture.

4. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Also, that things of this nature are fouled up in Word and other Microsoft products. An alternative is to save the document as a postscript file (using print) and open the ps file in Preview. This might work to preserve the transparencies.

5. ezekielrage_99 macrumors 68040

ezekielrage_99

M$ Word + PDF = very crappy output.

There's not much you can do about that, MS is good at *.doc and to a lesser extent *.rtf that is all, PDF has never been a Microsoft strong point just look at MS Publisher (I hear designers all over the world cringing).

Most of the problems with MS PDFs is that they are not fully translated (or supported by Word), it can happen with images, fonts, text layouts, etc, besides redoing the images there's not much you can do.

Unless you absoluting have to have MS Word do PDF I'd steer clear of Word documents saved as PDFs.

6. jon Gotty thread starter macrumors newbie

thanx u lot but non of it worked...

does anyone else no how to keep the images transparant,
    by the way what is a postscript file and how do i go about saving the document as one

7. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Okay, then you did not try everything. To save as a Postscript file:

1-Print
    2-In the Print dialog box, select the PDF menu, then select "Save PDF as Postscript..." You will now be prompted to save the Postscript (.ps) file.
    3-Double-click on the Postscript file you just created, it will open in Preview. Check to see if the transparencies are preserved. If it works, the PDF can now be saved from Preview. If it doesn't, then the problem is with Word, and the only solution is to use something else.

8. nightelf macrumors 6502

You could also take a snapshot of the image and replace the old version with the new one. The quality could decrease because of the resolution.

I think is the fastest and easiest way.

9. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

But this method would not create a transparency...

10. nightelf macrumors 6502

No, but you would have a "flat" version of the image that would export to PDF.

11. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I don't know what you mean. Transparency means the ability to see through the image to something behind it.