PDF splitting, individual naming, boring garbage...

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Smileyguy, Feb 28, 2005.

1. Smileyguy macrumors 6502

Here's a question...

I have a PDF document with TWO pages in it. Is there any way I can either

1) Split the doucment into 2 separate PDF's without losing quality. I don't ave Distiller or anything like that. Or the full version of Acrobat.

2) If this isn't possible, is there any way I can put separate names on the two pages. e.g Page1Colour, Page2Colour.

Can anyone help? Thanks...

2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Without Acrobat it may be a little tricky, but you could try using Preview to Print to PDF one page at a time.

Experiment with the settings to get the result that pleases you.

3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I think, based on the way Preview works, that you can do the following without losing quality: open the file in preview, choose print, set the print range as just the first page, and then choose the save as PDF option. And then repeat for p. 2.

From what I've seen, there is no loss of quality in doing this.

4. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Watch that font embedding though.

You can check with Adobe Reader (free) to see whether the fonts still remain intact.

The test I just tried on my machine was using the Adobe PDF printer which you may not have...

5. Smileyguy thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the advice. I'll give this a try. By the way, any way to name the individual documents in the one file?

6. SFVCyclone macrumors 6502a

try this

actually printing a pdf using the os X feature will give you a screen res. pdf, but within the same window you can also choose to print or rather save it as a postscript file if you go to "print" then choose "output option" then you can open that file using preview and save it as a pdf but not using the print window and then you can have a full res pdf that way. is that understandable? any one find a fault with this method?

7. telecomm macrumors 65816

telecomm

What exactly do you mean "screen res. pdf"? Breaking up pdf documents in this manner has never resulted in a loss of resolution/quality for me (unless I'm missing something). Is this perhaps only a problem for pdf documents larger than any paper size available on one's printer?

8. SFVCyclone macrumors 6502a

sorry i also forgot to mention if you choose to print just one page at a time that will split it and thats just in the copies and pages section of the print window. By screen res. i mean screen resolution so 72 dpi so if you try to send that file to a printer they might reject it since most want it to be at least 300 dpi. But i dont know what you are going to use your file for so it could be ok that way.