PDFCreator (freeware) for Mac OS X Leopard

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by pittopitto, Jan 31, 2008.

1. macrumors newbie

Jan 31, 2008
    Sydney, Australia
    Hiya guys...

I know it was already posted a similar thread before about PDF Creator (freeware version), but my problem is quite different...

I need to print from any application to a image format (GIF, JPG, TIFF and most importantly PNG). I was an ex Windows user and I was using a lot PDF Creator to print tables and graphs from Excel to PNG. I found it quite useful. Now that I have switched to Mac OS X, I kept looking around for a free and open source program that does a job similar as PDF Creator... So far I have found one and it wasn't freeware/Open Source

Does someone of you guys know for a free (and :apple: mac :apple:) version of PDF Creator?? :confused:

Many Thanks
  2. macrumors 68040

Jun 23, 2003
    Washington, DC
    You can print from any application in OS X to PDF natively. It's a built-in capability. :confused:

In the lower-left of every Print dialog is a "PDF" button, you can save to a PDF and then convert to any format you want using Preview (the default OS X PDF/image viewer).
  3. thread starter macrumors newbie

Jan 31, 2008
    Sydney, Australia
    I know that I can print to a PDF with Mac OS X, but I want to print to PNG file format....
  4. macrumors 68020

Aug 30, 2006
    Instead of trying to save it as a pdf, click Preview, and when Preview loads up, goto File - Save As and change it to .png.

Works for websites as I just tested it, might work for what you're trying to do. :)
  5. macrumors 604

Sep 11, 2004
    Canberra, Australia
    I'm fairly sure if you open the PDF up in Preview you can save it as/export it to PNG. Maybe give that a try.
  6. macrumors newbie

Jul 19, 2007
    I think you can use Preview for this. Save your Document as a PDF, open the PDF up in Preview and do a Save As... Then just select what type of image format you want from the Format pull down....
  7. macrumors 65816

May 25, 2007
    Pocket Universe, nth Dimensional Complex Manifold
    Did anyone mention that Preview does this? I didn't read the other answers, but I wanted to mention it just in case. There is an option for opening in Preview from any print requester. You can save from Preview to an avalanche of image formats.

~ CB :)
  8. thread starter macrumors newbie

Jan 31, 2008
    Sydney, Australia
    What can I say.... ????

That's SIMPLY fantastic!!!! Big thanks you guys!!!

I have heard that Automator can make the work simpler, instead of opening preview -> save as... -> PNG format 1000 times, I may find something more automatic.

Gotta learn Automator!!!

9. macrumors newbie

Jul 5, 2008
    PDF printing in mac leopord from webpage missing images

Does anyone know why some images are missing in the pdf file when you print to pdf from the web browser?