PDF's in Safari and Preview

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by MrFusion, Jan 26, 2007.

1. MrFusion macrumors 6502a

Hey,

I am getting more and more annoyed with PDF handling. I have to read a lot of papers (which usually are in PDF format). I don't like to read them in safari (preview has better options), but I also don't want to clutter up my download folder with a buch of files who are all named the same "standardName-7.pdf" and "standard-14.pdf"

I tried this option for a weeks.
    defaults write com.apple.Safari WebKitOmitPDFSupport -bool YES/NO
    Safari doesn't open but downloads them straight to your download folder. This clutters up the download folder and leaves a new blank tab.

What I am looking for is a way to download a pdf file (saved in the cache folder), open it with preview, let me decide if I want to keep it, rename it to my naming standard and save it in my specified folder, and this without safari opening a new blank tab.

I am aware of the "save-as" option in Preview, that is no problem.

Any ideas?
    Thanks

2. dalvin200 macrumors 68040

with the pdf open in safari, right click (ctrl-click) on it and there will be an option to "open in preview" :)

3. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

That's what I do, then use the 'Save as' option in Preview to name the file whatever you want and save it to whatever folder you want.

4. dalvin200 macrumors 68040

me too.. and i think it's what the OP needs to do as well ;)

5. MrFusion thread starter macrumors 6502a

I know that option. For me that is one click to many. I don't want safari to first open the pdf, so that I have to tell it to open it in preview. I want safari to send the pdf straight to preview.

It's not that I have to do this once a week or so. When I am looking for papers, or something very specific, I can go through dozens a day. Reading the abstract is just the first filter.