PDF's opening in Safari window not Preview

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by adammacer, Jul 28, 2006.

1. adammacer macrumors newbie

I understand this is an 'improvement' introduced in Tiger but frankly it's a pain in the a*se...

Is there anyway to set preferences so PDF's open in Preview again?.. Can't find anything..

Ta

A

2. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

Select a .pdf file (any will do) in the Finder, and hit cmd+I to pull up the properties window. Under "open with" select Preview, and then choose, 'use this program for all file types'.

There you go.

3. Over Achiever macrumors 68000

Over Achiever

I can't really think of a solution besides when it loads in Safari to right click it and open it in Preview ... =(

I would delete the plugin and then it would just download the pdf, unless you have Safari set to automatically open "safe" files after which it would open in Safari. Is that what you had before Tiger?

4. adammacer thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks.. but now I can't get a pdf to appear on desktop to get info on despite setting to in General in Safari preferences being as such..

?

A

5. adammacer thread starter macrumors newbie

Panther used to open PDF's in Preview by default.. Perfect as a lot of those I view are multi-page documents and I could skip easily past irrelevant pages..

A

6. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

Are you talking about pdfs that you've downloaded to your computer or ones that are online?

7. Over Achiever macrumors 68000

Over Achiever

File -> Save will save it to wherever you'd like, otherwise instead of clicking on the link to see the pdf, right click the pdf link and "Download Linked File".

8. adammacer thread starter macrumors newbie

Err.. sorry.. numpty question.. what's the difference?.. All PDF's I used to view from online sources would download automatically (download pane would 'run') and appear on my desktop.. Now open direct to Safari page and nothing on desktop..

A

9. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

I'd say go ahead and follow OverAchiever's advice and just download manually to the desktop, then open in Preview like normal. I'll check and see what normal behavior is for me for Safari dealing with pdfs.

Edit: yep, for me the pdfs open in Safari as well if I just double-click on a link. I usually intend to keep them for later, however, so I've always done an explicit 'save as' then used Preview.

I hope all this helps.

10. Over Achiever macrumors 68000

Over Achiever

This is how I usually deal with pdfs ...

I let it open in the Safari window, then right click on the pdf and do "Open with Preview". That way I can flip through pages easily, and if I want to save the PDF, in preview I just do a "File - Save As" and save it to disk. Otherwise I leave it in the tmp folder and forget about it, the tmp folder eventually gets cleaned out.

11. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

Oh, sure, go ahead and give some good simple advice. Thanks for making me look bad :p .

12. adammacer thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks v much but!... the way it worked on Panther was perfect.. I'd double-click a link, I'd get an icon for the pdf on my desktop for saving or trashing and a Preview window displaying it..

Don't wanna have to remember to right-click this, save as that.. just want it as it was before!..

So why aren't I getting a pdf icon on my desktop?..

A

13. Over Achiever macrumors 68000

Over Achiever

It's because when the pdf opens in the Safari window, it saves the pdf to a hidden tmp folder. The only way to get the pdf on the desktop is to instead of clicking on the link, to right click it and "Download linked file" ... I can't think of any other alternatives.

I haven't looked for the Preview plug in if there is one, you can try a spotlight search if you'd like.

14. adammacer thread starter macrumors newbie

Tried all the above.. got pdf on desktop, got info, changed settings as described... no difference.. grrrrr..

Thanks anyhoo

A

15. live4ever macrumors 6502a

To disable PDFs in Safari completely open Terminal and input:

Code:
    defaults write com.apple.Safari WebKitOmitPDFSupport -bool YES
    Then in System Preference>QuickTime>MIME Settings... under the image drop down make sure PDF is unchecked.

[​IMG]

16. adammacer thread starter macrumors newbie

Woah.. that's a bit advanced for me.. So I input that code into the first Terminal pane that opens?... Looks like some kind of event log to me..

Ta

A

17. kalibahlu macrumors newbie