Peanut butter and jelly®

Discussion in 'Community' started by dvdh, Apr 18, 2005.

1. dvdh macrumors 6502

dvdh

From Macleans (April 25 edition):

Scorecard - Thumbsdown

Smuckers
    Fruit-spread giant claims peanut butter and jelly sandwich falls under its patents. Gets creamed by U.S. patent office yet launches appeal, unfazed by critics' smears about spreading litigation. Chocolate milk: call your lawyers.

Okay, frivolous legal action is getting way out of hand. Makes me anger enough to refuse to eat Smuckers product anymore.

Who ever is responsible for this one should be smeared with peanut butter and jelly (tarring and feathering isn't so politically correct anymore :p ), and paraded through the streets wearing a placard explaining how they tried to waste public money and court time.

2. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

makes me glad that i never liked peanut butter and jelly sandwiches anyways....stupid smuckers

3. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

The patent was... Denied earlier in April

The judges were too smart for Smucker's, and thought their method was similar to making ravioli and crimping a pie crust.

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

This reminds me of a couple of Japanese businessmen who tried to patent curry. At which point the entire subcontinent jumped up and said, "excuse me!!!" :D

Also, I'm slightly disappointed this thread isn't about this song. (It's a pretty simple Flash...it's mostly just worth it for the song, which reminds me of camp *dreams* :))

5. James Philp macrumors 65816

James Philp

Ok, does this mean that if I make own, I'm infringing on copyright laws? :rolleyes:
    Can I patent my peanut butter and red pepper sandwich - as far as I know, I'm the only one who eats them!? (But they are nice - trust me!)

6. dvdh thread starter macrumors 6502

dvdh

My personal favorite with peanut butter is cucumbers. I'll have to try with red pepper though, that sounds like it would work pretty good too. Peanut butter, red pepper and cucumber sandwich anyone?

7. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Is this really good? My personal favs are peanut butter and honey, and peanut butter and banana slice sandwiches.

8. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

I wounder what my school would have done :rolleyes:
    But didn't some old ladies copyright "happy birthday"
    I think i'm gonna copyright "god bless you"

9. Nanda Devi macrumors regular

....or peanut butter and banana slices and a little drizzle of honey. Now you're talkin' - YUM! And even better, of course, when served open-face on toasted whole wheat bread so that the peanut butter is all melted and gooey. That's got to be about the tastiest thing there is. :)

10. James Philp macrumors 65816

James Philp

Elvis Lives! (He has just given up the frying!)

11. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Mmmmm...somewhere, there used to be a place where the whole menu was gourmet PB&J-esque sandwiches. Thick, dense, fresh old-world style bread, toasted sandwiches, flowing peanut butter...mmmm.....

12. sorryiwasdreami macrumors 6502a

sorryiwasdreami

I invented the "tight roll" method of rolling up your pants in 1985 and cheese fries some years later but you don't see me trying to patent them.

(But maybe I should!)

13. primalman macrumors 6502a

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA¡

14. sarae macrumors 6502

What I don't get is.. who has to buy premade pb&j? It doesn't take THAT long to slap a sandwich together, and it's got to be tons more expensive. I understand the appeal of convenience, but I think some things have just gone too far.

15. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Well, if they're just plain PB&J, yeah. But if they're special gourmet ones, well.... The same argument applies for any restaurant food, doesn't it? I mean think about ceaser salads...there's all of four ingredients! :eek: :D

16. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

You have to think of the ability of the people they are selling these things to. ;)

They either cannot take the time to make a sandwich, or they don't have the ability.

17. sarae macrumors 6502

Yeah, but (as far as I know) these are just plain old sandwiches, sans crust. Going out to eat at least provides you with an "experience," or isn't just convenience.

18. sorryiwasdreami macrumors 6502a

sorryiwasdreami

LOL. Glad you appreciated that! :)

19. primalman macrumors 6502a

"My Pants." Been saying that since 1993.

---

Stop the war, vote Democrat. Stop the war, vote not-Satan. Stop the war, I want to get off.

20. Awimoway macrumors 65816

My grandfather would only eat peanut butter and onion sandwiches. I'm a big fan of PB & tomato. PB & mayo works too, and a little cheese is a nice addition.

21. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    This is for their uncrustables which well, have no crust, but do have crimped edges. This is a somewhat novel invention but the prior art makes it so derivative its obvious.

22. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

They didn't copyright "happy birthday" They wrote the song and copyrighted that. Just like any other song you hear. If you want to write the "God Bless You" song, go for it. I'll even respect your copyright (God bless you, God bless you, God bless you dear puckhead, God bless you is not enough).

23. jayscheuerle macrumors 68020

jayscheuerle

Fresh Italian Round bread from Sarcones. Toast a nice oblong slice, put a layer of peanut butter on there. Add thin slices of bananas cut diagonally. Shave chilled dark chocolate over the top, then put into the toaster oven until the chocolate just starts to melt...

24. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I really enjoy a good peanut butter and jelly sandwich. My preference is chunky. I think its Jiff that makes the mixture in the same jar. My preference to to make it myself.

25. joepunk macrumors 68030

joepunk

Been a long time since I had a PB&Banana. Will have to make one again but this time with honey. One of my favorite combinations is crunchy peanut butter and lays potato chips on bread.

I used to eat that pre-mixed pb&j. I think it was called Goobers? Great stuff for family trips in the car.

I too like chunk/crunchy peanut butter. I prefer Adams over Jiff any-day. Just look at the ingredients.