PearPC, it's great!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by MacNeXT, Sep 10, 2004.

1. MacNeXT macrumors 6502

Jun 21, 2004
    I just installed the latest version of PearPC (0.3.1) on a P4 2,6GHz HT. It's surprisingly fast and responsive. It kind of reminds me of trying 10.1.5 on a 233 MHz Powerbook Wallstreet with 96MB ram.

Okay, too slow to do serious work, but it shows to have real potential to become a serious 'alternative' for PC users who want to use Mac OS X.

Processors will only become faster and PearPC will surely improve a lot in the near future. I'm convinced, PearPC is a force to be reckoned with!
  2. jxyama macrumors 68040

Apr 3, 2003
    man, talk about a flamebait..? (maybe not, it sounds interesting, though i don't have a PC...) :D

you aren't *supposed* to install OS X on a non-apple branded computer...

anyway, sure, enjoy.

btw, do you have any screenshots? i'm just curious.
  3. MacNeXT thread starter macrumors 6502

Jun 21, 2004
    I'll try to get networking running and then i'll take some screenshots. Does anyone know a benchmark app so I can compare with real apple hardware?

By the way the thing takes slightly more than 1 minute to start up (before dock appears) and the installation took about an hour and a half (only base + BSD subsystem).
  4. AmigoMac macrumors 68020

Aug 5, 2003
    Fast is VERY relative word ... :rolleyes: , you're kidding about the powerbook+10.1.5 thing ... serious, at that point you should take a rest, come on, it will be just a toy for geeky boys who want to impress themselves ... then people will say, "Sh*t, Mac is a really bad OS, way to far from windows and you have to wait a lot before you can click there" why? because there are still people who think that mac is just a program in a PC... haven't you been asked "Hey can you pls install me that nice program you have in your pc? "Which one" "That one where you have your program on the bottom with arrows" ... it's hilarious! :D

Processors will become faster, yeah, we will see a repost of this thread "Hey PearPC is great, it reminds me my Titanium powerbook when jaguar came out", by then, we will be enjoying dual-core G5 powerbooks.. oh and Mac OS 10.6 (Write the name of the cat here) ... :cool:

I don't complain about the work done on PearPC but come-on you cannot take it as the alternative mac system for PeeCeers ... great work, somehow people would like to have it for bragging reasons... are those who are geek, and those who want to look like ...

Edit: I was asked once if I could install expose in someone's win ME PC ... :eek: I said no, didn't bother to explain why, sometimes is not worth...
  5. MacNeXT thread starter macrumors 6502

Jun 21, 2004
    Actually, I'm not kidding about the powerbook 10.1.5 thing. I do agree that it's practically unusable right *now*. That I do not intend to argue.

And your point about ppl thinking mac os x is a program on pc's is invalid. People who try PearPC are fully aware of its lack of speed. No one will think a real mac will be the same as PearPC. Ok, there will always be ignorant people who want "a program on the bottom with arrows" or exposé on their windows ME peecee, but that's only a part of the PC crowd, and certainly not the part for wich PearPC is meant... namely the crowd that sees mac os x as a serious alternative to their *windows* hardware and are interested to go trough the hassle of setting up pearpc.

As for the point you make about future apple hardware and OS'es. Okay you might be right. But even if the PearPC'ers stick with Panther, they will have a far more interesting OS than whatever they've running underneath it.
  6. Jalexster macrumors 6502a

Jun 8, 2004
    I've known about PearPC for quite a while now, but on TechTV recently (The Australian Version. It has all the footage from the American version, but I think it is delayed by a few days/weeks/months), they showed PearPC.

Here is what they got wrong:

1. They said it is completely free, and you can download everything you need for free What? Do they want people to download Mac OS X? ******s...
    2. They said it runs Mac OS X at about the same speed as a G3. They didn't say what speed, they just said "It's like running Mac OS Ten on a G3". G3s run Mac OS X just fine.
    3. They said it's kinda normal. Program srash a hit, but they said that is normal.

In fact, overall, from what I have seen on TechTV, they are the stupidist bunch of idiots EVER. I watch their antics, THEY ARE STUPID! They don't know ANYTHING!

I watched them right click ona network share in Windows, trying to turn on the Internet Connection Firewall, in order to show people how to keep their computer secure. It took about 10 miniutes for them to work out how the hell to get to the Network Connections screen. I felt like screaming "You click the button marked "View Network Connections", you stupid *******s!".

My advice, never listen to TechTV. Wait, what is this thread about again?
  7. AmigoMac macrumors 68020

Aug 5, 2003
    -First line is a contradiction but still we share the point of PearPC's skills (not many by now)...

-By people thinking that Mac os X is a program running on a PC ... believe me, those are pretty common, why? because computers are pretty new (That's a relative word) and there are people over 30 who never touched a computer because it was not the interest of their time and now that they want to buy something, it's what friends say and what news talks about... when they hear "mac" ... oh looks interesting "How can i get that program?" the less ignorant ones, they know it's an OS but still they think they can run that on their PC's ... hello! we are genius compared to those, do not forget the over 40 people, I'm not saying all, I'm saying that it is a big number...

Those people from above and really stupid win users when/if hear about PearPC, will have a bad taste about Mac os X because they thought they could have those nice apps they listened once ...

Again and agreed , it's only a part of the crowd... but ignorant users are installing whatever they hear about, just bragging reasons, the average user thinks that the more programs you have, the more power you get...

PearPC is a geeky toy, IMO, and by the time it will be a *good* toy for simulation, it won't make sense for a lot of people because the actual generation will be smart enough and wont have the same computer questions as the actual "old" generation ... and a lot of people will be using Macs or Linux ... I do Hope... but somehow as some other user posted here long time ago, i don't expect and do not hope apple to dominate the market...
  8. MisterMe macrumors G4

Jul 17, 2002
    Personal computers have been around since 1975. If you are 32 years old or younger, you do not remember a time when there were no personal computers. The Macintosh has been around since 1984. If you are 23 years old or younger, you do not remember a time when there were no Macintoshes. The problem is not people's ages. The problem is that to most people, computers are those things that run Windows. Windows is hard. Their only interest in computers is that they are those things that they are paid to use. When they break, call tech support and take rest of the afternoon off.

Today, computer proficiency is limited primarily to young men who use computers for entertainment and communication.

As a tool for changing the world, personal computers have been co-opted by Corporate America and its IT minions. The only hope that this state of affairs will change is that the Redmond Monopoly falls. Then, there is hope that the masses will be less ignorant about computers
  9. AmigoMac macrumors 68020

Aug 5, 2003
    I never said that it was an age problem, but there is a lot of people who grew up out of the tech-world, no computers, nintendo, what's that?, never have considered a mobile phone and consider a video-chat something of a movie...

"Spell checker knows "Microsoft" and Nintendo" :)

Those people are a very high % in Europe, Asia, South-america, Africa & Australia (There,I really don't know how much %) and a low % in USA...

These people have found computers pretty useful and want to give them a try, they want their kids to learn what a PC is, this group of people have been learning about computers since less than 10 years and the words Mac/Apple are appearing until now in their vocabulary or in the best case they knew but they think/thought it is/was already dead and what people use comes from windows ... you know where they pick windows from... a friend, programs to buy? pls., everything comes from friends and sometimes a computer magazine, reinstalling the OS every 3-6 months is really natural because computers are difficult and windows does a great job giving a nice interface, virus, ah yeah, they hear about one once in a while but it happens to big companies only, firewall , no idea ... worms?, hey come one, they have never seen one in their home ... maybe in the garden.

We, the members of this forum are a big minority of people who can handle a mac, as said before, we look like geniuses compared to the people outside that do not have an idea that this forum exists ...

and still we come here because we need help from other experienced people.. :)

Computers are young in terms of how good people can work on them...
    there are still a lot of parents who claim that their kids are geeks because they can turn on a PC, write a homework for school and print it out...

We people are a low, very low % of the real world...

Ohh back to topic, it's nice what a programmer can do, I cannot say that the programmer is a bad guy but products have to be objectively qualified... look the post about the Australian comparison between PearPC and a real Mac ... Like those people on TV there a plenty stupid users everywhere ...
  10. MacNeXT thread starter macrumors 6502

Jun 21, 2004
    Not wanting to go into a flame war or anything, but what exactly makes you think that? Making such a harsh statement and telling you "really don't know how much %" in the same sentence makes you sound a bit illiterate.
  11. AmigoMac macrumors 68020

Aug 5, 2003
    I was talking about Australia... because I haven't studied enough about this region...
  12. rand() macrumors regular

Jul 15, 2004
    Personally, I feel that PearPC is just a Cool Factor thing. Nobody is ever going to be running iMovie through PearPC on their Craptium XXIV 16GHz. And none of the "Stupid PeeCeer's" are even going to know it exists.

But I kind of take offense to brushing off a WinME user who wants Expose. This is a perfect chance to educate the PeeCeer!!! Don't let it go to waste! Come on... people aren't stupid, they're at the most behind a bit. If the common layman can understand that a Ford parts don't work in Chevy's, then they can understand that Apple programs don't run on a PC. (Except iTunes. Metaphor D'oh! :) )

It's just a matter of patience, and getting them some hands-on Apple experience. My in-laws were all PC users - one demo of iMovie, and a few flicks of the Expose, the eyes go wide, and they switch pretty quick. Now the PC's are just dumb internet terminals, and all the real computing gets done on Macs.

You can show them why Apple's are such a joy to use, and get them off that ME piece once and for all. It really isn't that much to explain. And they will be much happier by taking the plunge.

Hey, just my 2 cents.
  13. MacNeXT thread starter macrumors 6502

Jun 21, 2004
    If anyone is interested: I'll run XBench on PearPC when I have access to my peecee again, which is monday. I'll post the results in this thread.
  14. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Jul 17, 2004
    You must have been lucky...most people I've tried to tell about the Mac can't get past that whole "one-button mouse" thing. And when I show off my PowerBook (who can't resist?) they ask if I have updated to Service Pack 2, should they, etc etc etc. I once spent over 20 minutes explaining to a guy that the Macintosh was seperate from Windows, etc, but he still called my computer "Windows 10.3" which is pretty funny, now that I take the time to think about it.

I'd love to try and install PearPC, but the only avalible computer is a 500Mhz PIII and I don't think that that would run too well. And yes, our house does have a 3.0Ghz P4 but that is currently unavalible...(dad said no messing around with it. :D)