Pebble Launches Limited Edition Classic Smart Watches in Blue, Pink, and Green

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Aug 5, 2014.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

As of today, the classic Pebble Smart Watch is available in three limited edition colors, including Fly Blue, Hot Pink, and Fresh Green. The bright neon colors are a deviation from Pebble's line of classic smart watches, previously available in Jet Black, Gray, Arctic White, Orange, and Cherry Red.

Pebble's new color variations extend to both the face and the band, which remains interchangeable, but the new watches are only available in limited quantities. Watchfaces to accompany the new colors can be downloaded from the Pebble app store, as can a new Weather app from The Weather Channel.

First introduced in 2012, Pebble's classic smart watch connects to the iPhone via Bluetooth LE, delivering alerts and notifications. The watch is water resistant with a 5 to 7 day battery life and includes changeable watch faces and a readable daylight display. Pebble also sells its second-generation Pebble Steel smart watch, which includes a stainless steel body, a slimmer profile, and a face covered with scratch-resistant Gorilla Glass.

The Fly Blue, Hot Pink, and Fresh Green Pebble smart watches can be purchased from the Pebble website for $150.

Article Link: Pebble Launches Limited Edition Classic Smart Watches in Blue, Pink, and Green

2. macrumors 6502a

ZacNicholson

watches are over rated.. i have a cell phone to tell time.

3. macrumors regular

JonneyGee

I think there's a typo at the top of the screen. Should say: "PebbleSmartWatchRumors: news and rumors you don't care about."

There, I fixed it. :)

4. macrumors 603

roland.g

The Pebble is ok. The range of apps is limited and soon the screen will be outdated and of course it doesn't support touch.

But I would go for the metal versions with a metal band before any pastel color. However, I'm guessing this is marketed at the 15-25 year old demographic.

5. macrumors newbie

No, it doesn't have a touch screen, but being someone who never had a watch, I quite like my Pebble.

6. macrumors 65816

citi

I go back and forth between my Pebble and my high end watches. Different purposes really. When I'm running around with the kids or working an event, I use the pebble. That way I'm not constantly having to grab my phone. It looks tacky IMO. I get all my notifications and only have to grab my phone if something is important.

7. macrumors 6502a

These cool colors will be $79 at Best Buy in a couple of months:cool:

8. macrumors 6502a

wlossw

I wouldn't wear a brightly coloured watch if it was free.

9. macrumors 65816

kupkakez

If they weren't so ridiculously large I would get one to try out. Having a small wrist I'm not sure I'll ever get to partake in the smartwatch game, they all have giant faces.

10. macrumors regular

11. macrumors 603

Stella

The Pebble's aren't 'ridiculously' large. A little taller than an average sports watch, but not by much.

12. macrumors 6502a

PocketSand11

I'd buy one if they didn't look so weird, given that half the point of a watch is style. At least the Casio calculator watches look cool in a way.

[​IMG]

13. macrumors 65816

kupkakez

Did you stop reading after the first sentence?

14. macrumors 6502a

pdaholic

Fresh, hot, and fly. Hey Pebble, the 80s called, and they want their words back.

15. macrumors 603

Stella

No - I read it in its entirety.

Like I said, the Pebble's aren't ridiculously large.

Your tiny wrist won't be able to accommodate an average sized sports watch either.

16. macrumors Core

Dagless

Those colours are quite neat. I'm still happy with my Red Pebble though, Stephen Fry has one and that's good enough for me :).

My worry about other smartwatches, both current and potential Apple ones, is the battery on my Pebble lasts a week. With an always-on, full colour LED display that's going to be a lot less. With that in mind I'll probably stick with Pebble for a very long time. I don't want to charge a watch up every day.

----------

thats nothing.. iHave carrier pigeons to tell time.

17. macrumors regular

does the watch auto-rotate so that its always upright? if not the guy is wearing his upside down at 0:37

18. macrumors newbie

Yes, while it's true that Pebble doesn't have a touch screen, I don't think this is a bad thing by any means.

Having used Android Wear as well as Pebble very extensively, I can say that it almost feels like a touch screen is not meant to be on a watch. The screen is already so small as it is and touching it takes up 80%+ of the screen real estate.

With Pebble it is simply buttons so the screen is always 100% visible. Also, it allows for actions to be carried out without even looking directly at the watch.

Example: I want to pause the music playing from my car while driving. On Android Wear I need to be looking at the watch the whole time while I navigate through 5 different menus. On Pebble, I know exactly the 3 quick button presses I need to do all while not even taking my eyes off the road.

This ability is huge for me, and something that shouldn't be overlooked when discussing Pebble's lack of a touch screen.

Just my two cents though.

19. macrumors 6502a

chasemac

20. macrumors 6502a

21. macrumors 68040

Gasu E.

It's not free, so you should have no problem.

22. macrumors 68030

iOS 8 has black and white mode. Possibly for over coming any iWatch battery problem?

23. macrumors 68000

AngerDanger

I received an email from them, having already purchased one and divulging my contact information.

I guess I might as well buy a new one to wear over my current Pebble. :confused:

24. macrumors 68020

jayducharme

It looks like Pebble joined forces with Fisher-Price.

25. macrumors 6502

Dilster3k