Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The record-breaking Kickstarter for the new Pebble Time smartwatch gained some momentum off of Apple's "Spring Forward" event last week, reported TechCrunch over the weekend.

The crowd-funding campaign brought in on average $6,000 per hour the Sunday before the big Apple Watch event, a statistic which rose to $10,000 per hour as the event happened on Monday, March 9 and leveled off at $16,000 per hour on March 10.

a361fd85680fccb17de65c13aa3e73bd_original.png
Speaking on the matter, Pebble CEO and founder Eric Migicovsky said the Apple Watch event doubled the rate of contribution to the Pebble Time Kickstarter, but as TechCrunch pointed out, it was closer to nearly tripling the campaign's hourly rate.

Apple's entry into the smartwatch market no doubt sparked interest in users interested in a wearable device, but perhaps looking for a cheaper alternative, with the ability to connect with Android phones or have a longer-lasting battery life. That train of thought appears to be unsurprising to Migicovsky and the Pebble team, who expected a boost coming off of the Apple Watch event.
"Apple's event this week caused a nice spike in support for us, as anticipated," Migicovsky told TechCrunch. "When the biggest company in the world enters your market, that's the kind of validation you can only dream of. Ultimately the more awareness for smartwatches, and the more choice for consumers, the better for everyone. 2015 is going to be an extraordinarily exciting year."
The Pebble Time Kickstarter began on February 24, and reached its goal of $500,000 in just under twenty minutes, allowing the company to introduce a more formal option in the Pebble Time Steel one week later. The campaign currently has about 72,000 backers with just over $18.5 million pledged and eleven days to go until its completion.

Article Link: 'Pebble Time' Kickstarter Gained Momentum Following Apple Watch Event

lowercaseperson

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2006
I hope they do well. I love my original Pebble, but the whole reason I want a smart watch is to get notifications and monitor metrics while I run (specifically HR) - sad they left off a HR monitor otherwise I would have seriously considered this over the :apple:Watch.

Mashurrab

macrumors regular
May 30, 2014
I am just afraid that when Apple starts selling thier watch this company will disappear :(

mbc2237

macrumors member
Aug 16, 2012
I am not surprised. I was interested in a Pebble before the Apple Watch and after the announcement, I will likely get that Pebble.

Corrode

macrumors 65816
Dec 26, 2008
Calgary, AB
There's not a whole lot I can do on an Apple Watch that I can't already do on my iPhone. For that reason, its value to me is low which means the price point for me to buy it needs to be low. I'm sure the interest in the less expensive Pebble watch means many others feel the same.

It's this same reason that I still, after all these years, haven't pulled the trigger on an iPad. Between my iPhone and my Mac, there's little value in adding an iPad.

Wow, when did I get so practical??

avanpelt

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
Why is Pebble still using Kickstarter? Don't they have R&D as part of their normal operating budget? Are they having difficulties finding traditional investors? While the money they've been pledged so far is admirable, it seems odd to me that they're still using crowdfunding at this point.

itsthenewdc

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2008
Orlando, FL
"as anticipated." I guess that's all you can really say to sound bigger than you are. Apple Watch pre-orders are going to crush Pebble's numbers.

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
Why is Pebble still using Kickstarter? Don't they have R&D as part of their normal operating budget? Are they having difficulties finding traditional investors? While the money they've been pledged so far is admirable, it seems odd to me that they're still using crowdfunding at this point.

This is quite controversial - KickStarter was not initially for this - that is - established companies raising funds for new products.

Now, Pebble is the most funded kickstarter project - so there's no problems about interest - that is - real interest - people willing to contribute money.

The CEO of Pebble did explain why they went down this route, some to do with marketing / visibility of their new product. I don't think lack of money was an issue.

Other companies have gone down this road - they have enough money but decided upon crowd sourcing.

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
I am not convinced by the whole smart watch category. Yet it is clear that if I buy one it will be Apple. From an aesthetics perspective there is no competition. Apple just looks hugely better. And I think that is what they are going for. Not sure if pebble has more functionality but I am sorry to say aesthetically I would never wear the pebble. I may be a geek, but I try not to advertise it.

itsthenewdc

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2008
Orlando, FL

From what I've read, I'm sure they're in bed with Kickstarter in some way. Kickstarter said projects can't act as a store yet Pebble is. Plus, they only have to produce as many as are pre-ordered. This helps control their cash flow. This is also a cheaper route than any retail store because the only money Pebble loses is the 5% Kickstarter takes and the 3-5% that the processing company takes, instead of the 40-50% retail will do through wholesale pricing.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
When the biggest company in the world enters your market, that's the kind of validation you can only dream of.

I still think of Apple as the underdog. Even today, the way that so many companies are dismissive of Apple and what they're working on makes me think of them as much smaller than they really are. It's still really weird for me to think of them as the most financially successful company in the history of the world. Just by entering the wearables market gives wearables a huge boost. This is precisely why Apple should build an Apple Car, despite me thinking they're spreading themselves too thin. Just by entering the electric car market, they will give the entire electric car industry a shot in the arm which is good for energy independence and our planet. If they take their time and do it right, then anything is possible with the kind of money they have in the bank.

Robert.Walter

macrumors 68040
Jul 10, 2012
What is the price point of this product?

If I divide donations by funders, I get a hair over 250$.

If this is the price, it would seem that this product is overpriced for anything outside the Android market. For someone already possessing a compatable iPhone, why not spend 100$ more and get the refined package and richer feature set of the Watch?

Last edited:

avanpelt

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
There's not a whole lot I can do on an Apple Watch that I can't already do on my iPhone. For that reason, its value to me is low which means the price point for me to buy it needs to be low. I'm sure the interest in the less expensive Pebble watch means many others feel the same.

It's this same reason that I still, after all these years, haven't pulled the trigger on an iPad. Between my iPhone and my Mac, there's little value in adding an iPad.

Agreed on all points. I've had an iPad since the third-gen came out and I basically just use it for Netflix and Amazon streaming these days. Part of the reason for that is because the third-gen iPad is incredibly sluggish with newer iOSes installed and the other reason is because, as you said, between my Mac and my iPhone, there isn't much I need the iPad for. I made some nice flow charts on the iPad a few times; but I honestly could've done the same thing on my Mac and possibly even on my iPhone.

I feel the same way about the Apple Watch. $349 minimum to save myself from having to take my iPhone out of my pocket? Not gonna happen. Especially since if I need to do anything beyond rudimentary stuff, I'm going to end up pulling the phone out anyway. In a few years, if the Apple Watch can do things that my iPhone can't do (unlock my car, be used to start my car, etc.) it will be a lot more appealing to me.

GizmoDVD

macrumors 68030
Oct 11, 2008
SoCal

Its the start of KS demise. It should be for people who need funding - not a company which already (apparently) has the watches close to ready to go and just wants cash early.

If Pebble was launching a totally new product line I could kinda see a KS. But this is simply Version 2.0.

Kissaragi

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2006

Yes its a pretty disgusting abuse of the kickstarter idea in my opinion. They are using it for advertising and to line their pockets.

greytmom

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2010
I'm glad for them - competition keeps everyone on their toes, but I would never order one. Those things are incredibly ugly.

A MacBook lover

Suspended
May 22, 2009
D.C.
I am not convinced by the whole smart watch category. Yet it is clear that if I buy one it will be Apple. From an aesthetics perspective there is no competition. Apple just looks hugely better. And I think that is what they are going for. Not sure if pebble has more functionality but I am sorry to say aesthetically I would never wear the pebble. I may be a geek, but I try not to advertise it.

I think smart watches are really starting to take off right now. Apple sure knows the best time to release their products because recently I'm seeing ALOT more smart watches (pebble,Fitbit,Google) in the wild.

newagemac

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2010

Almost all technology is about convenience. There is not a whole lot you can do on your iPhone that you can't do on your Mac either.

inhalexhale1

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2011
PA

They're just using it as a way to move stock. Which is supposed to be against kickstarters policy, but they knew it would generate big money, and couldn't resist a cut of it. Sad.

nebo1ss

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
They're just using it as a way to move stock. Which is supposed to be against kickstarters policy, but they knew it would generate big money, and couldn't resist a cut of it. Sad.
Or you could just consider it as Pre-Orders.

Bare

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2008
I took a look at the Pebble Time Kickstarter page after the event, but I didn't like what I saw. Might as well spring for the real deal from Apple for another $50-$100.

Voytech

macrumors member
Jul 6, 2010
"as anticipated." I guess that's all you can really say to sound bigger than you are. Apple Watch pre-orders are going to crush Pebble's numbers.

Of course they will... That's like saying Walmart will sell more toilet paper than the local mom and pop pharmacy on the corner of the block.

GizmoDVD

macrumors 68030
Oct 11, 2008
SoCal
Or you could just consider it as Pre-Orders.

For something they already had developed and fabricated. That shouldn't be on KS. KS should be about designs or prototypes for these type of things.

No real need to go on about it. Several sites already blasted KS for this.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
is it just me or has the buzz surrounding the apple watch already died down? havent read much about it since the keynote at least on german or spanish sites

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.