Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Pebble today announced multiple updates for its line of Pebble smart watches, introducing new messaging options and new health features for Pebble owners.

Pebble owners who use iOS devices are now able to reply to incoming text messages with custom messages instead of the standard canned responses. Custom text replies are available to all iOS users who have text replies enabled from a compatible carrier.

pebbletime-800x449.jpg

Pebble Health, the fitness tracking app Pebble introduced in December for Pebble Time watches, has a new API that lets Pebble Health stats be added to apps and watch faces. The health tracking feature is also more accurate and is able to show distance in kilometers or miles.

New Pebble Time Firmware 3.9 introduces incoming MMS messages with descriptive icons and text, and it introduces speed improvements for Pebble Time and Time Steel. There's also an improved Watch-Only mode, which introduces better power saving options when the watch battery is critically low.

The update is available through the Pebble Time iOS app, available from the App Store for free. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Pebble Update Introduces Custom Messages, Health Improvements

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Wow, I didn't think the Pebble could get any uglier but man, that just doesn't do it for me.

stiligFox

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2009
I love my Pebble Classic, looking forward to getting a Pebble Time sometime. I do know that because of the limitations of iOS they have to send messages through the carrier, it would be nice if they could send iMessages :l I use it with my iPad so I can't reply to messages at all. Oh well, that's part of the cost of the walled ecosystem.

That being said, I still love my Pebble, it does everything I need and still lasts like 5 days on a charge :)

Flow39

macrumors 68000
Sep 7, 2014
The Apple Store
Pebble on iOS sucks.

If you want a Smartwatch for iOS, do yourself a favor and just get an Apple Watch. The Pebble is only good on Android IMO. Has about the same functionality as an Apple Watch when used with Android.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I can't believe they're still updating the original Kickstarter Pebble. Just got the update notification earlier today, can't say I've noticed any new features in my day-to-day use but good to see support!
[doublepost=1454532960][/doublepost]
Pebble on iOS sucks.

If you want a Smartwatch for iOS, do yourself a favor and just get an Apple Watch. The Pebble is only good on Android IMO. Has about the same functionality as an Apple Watch when used with Android.
Sure I'll just go swimming with my Apple Watch, heh.

Reactions: jblagden

cdmoore74

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010
Pebble on iOS sucks.

If you want a Smartwatch for iOS, do yourself a favor and just get an Apple Watch. The Pebble is only good on Android IMO. Has about the same functionality as an Apple Watch when used with Android.[/QUOTE

I got my pebble first gen for $50 brand new from Best Buy a few months ago and I love it. It's not that I don't have the money for the Apple Watch. It's because I don't need all the crap that Apple Watch gives you. I just need basic notifications and time telling which the pebble does perfectly. And I don't have to charge the watch every night. When my pebble tells me 20% battery life remaining that equals 2 days for me.
I didn't switch from huge Android phones to a smaller 6S so that my watch can replace my phone. I got the smaller 6S to make it easier to use throughout the day and it does that just fine. I don't mind taking out my phone to use an app. What I don't want to do is use a app on a tiny screen tied to my wrist.
One day I will have an Apple Watch (if I'm still using an iPhone) but I have no problems in waiting for rev 2 or 3 while the pebble gets thrown around.

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
Pebble on iOS sucks.

I know my Pebble is more limited on iOS, but it does most of the things I want. No way in **** I'm getting an Apple Watch unless they drastically improve the battery life.

Reactions: Recognition

sevoneone

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2010
I have to really hand it to Pebble, they really are living up to their promise of regular updates. The updates have been pretty solid so far too. I still think they would cleanup in the wider smart watch market if they dropped their prices on the Time by $50.

Merode

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2013
Warsaw, Poland
Pebble user and Apple Watch user are completly different people.

Apple Watch is foremost a fashion item. People buy it because it's Apple and it looks arguably good.

Pebble is targeted towards geeks and script kiddies. You can write your own watch faces and so on. Battery life is great and it's great toy in my opionion.

Apple Watch has extremely limited capabilities and API. The only thing that is better about it is that it looks more polished.

No executive or CEO (99%) is going to wear Pebble during meeting. On the other hand, these people can afford much better looking watches than Apple Watch. Apple Watch was designed for averege people to feel special and to motivate tham a little to leave coffee shop and go running.

I'm using MacBook Pro and iPhone so don't tell me I'm hatin' Apple. All I said is true from my point of view. I'm wearing Timex.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.