Pedophile threat closes Microsoft chat rooms

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Doctor Q, Sep 23, 2003.

1. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

CNN link

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Yup, just saw about this this morning, I'm amazed they're actually doing it, but it's a good thing, and will give Microsoft a good image boost I think.

edit: typo ;)

3. crap freakboy macrumors 6502a

crap freakboy

GOOD...about bloody time, they should be strung-up, the pedophiles not M$....no, wait a mo... why not kill two birds with one stone?

4. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

5. MorganX macrumors 6502a

MorganX

This is good news.

Not to mention, MS Chat sucked terribly.

6. Wardofsky macrumors 65816

Yeah, just saw this on the news tonight... chat rooms are kinda problematic aren't they.

I'll stick with IM'ing...

7. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

hey, I'm all for children's safety (I'm on the board of directors for a local kid's summer camp...) and I applaud the move, but I'm skeptical about how blown-out-of-proportion the whole "chat rooms grooming kids for abuse" thing is.

I don't doubt that it can happen. The cases that these news stories keep quoting are proof of that. But these are still quite isolated incidents (and high profile) compared to the much LARGER number of kids who are abused by people they already know and trust.

Heck, I've even seen stories warning parents to be careful of your kids' webcamming habits, as apparently some have figured out that if they do a striptease at the right webcam site, perverts will reward them by buying them stuff on their Amazon wishlist or something or other. Seems pretty bizarre to me, but my first thought was: I don't know *anybody* with a webcam, let alone a kid whose got one in his/her own room.
    :confused:

The Internet sure can be a sick place, but the real world is still worse on the whole.

8. Doctor Q thread starter Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Maybe it's time to close that too.

I read an article a few days ago about a very young fashion model, still in middle school, and the article discussed the dangers she faced by her early entry into a business that is "selling sex" and with adults all around her. But she and her parents were aware of this danger, and that counts for a lot. It's the kids that nobody is watching (other than on webcams) that get in trouble the most.

9. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Meh.

Like they will not now use Yahoo or AOL/AIM?

:rolleyes:

One great Boost for Microsoft PR, one non-step for stopping sexual predators.