peecee hardware question

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by firewire2001, Jun 9, 2002.

1. firewire2001 macrumors 6502a

i didnt really know where to put this question.. and i know that a handful of the ppl here would know the answer...

my question is: i have an amd 1ghz thunderbird, do i need a heatsink or a fan mounted directly on top of the cpu?

thanks..

2. IndyGopher macrumors 6502a

IndyGopher

Re: peecee hardware question

Without both a heatsink and working fan, you would destroy that CPU before you power the machine off. It really happens that fast. Literally. If you have the standard configuration, where you hold the power button in for 4 seconds to power off, the CPU is already dead. You'll know by the smell and the smoke.

3. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Yeah, it probably takes like 4-5 seconds for your chip to fry, which can possibly damage your motherboard as well.

Let us know if you need help finding a good HSF.:)

4. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

I would have to say F*CK YES!!!

Without the heat sink and fan, you might as well just toss out the processor now. IF one didn't come with your processor (retail packages come with them) then go to Cooler Master and get one of theirs. You can find them online for a few dollars (under $20) and they are well worth the money. They are very quiet (compared to many others) and last a long time. If you want to, you could also get an adapter to put an even larger fan onto the heat sink (like an 80mm or 92mm) and get even better, quieter cooling. Those can be found here, I would go with the aluminum ones since they will trasfer heat better, and provide a stable surface for the fan to mount to.

5. britboy macrumors 68030

britboy

I would say no. By burning that poc you'll be doing the world a favour. Start it up, as is, and then go out and get yourself a mac ;):D

6. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Here I was, being nice and helping the duder out, and you go and say this... :D

That being said... only a 1GHz T-Bird??? When did you get it?? Why did you get that one and not one of the xp series chips???

Come on, give us the dirt. :D

7. Grokgod macrumors 6502a

Grokgod

If your making toast on it!

For toast with melted butter, no fan is needed on the CPU.

If you want it to actually run for longer than a few moments then you better get one. Those i ghz amd chip run very very hot. They have no built in safe gaurds like the P3 or P4.

SO I think the answer is YES!

8. topicolo macrumors 68000

topicolo

Re: If your making toast on it!

Funny you should mention that, someone has actually, REALLY COOKED EGGS on their Athlon XP :)

check it out

:D :D :D

9. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Re: Re: If your making toast on it!

What's really funny is that it still worked afterwards.:eek: :D

10. topicolo macrumors 68000

topicolo

Re: Re: Re: If your making toast on it!

I'd like to make an oven out of those chips one of these days :). I'd probably be able to cook stuff in 1-2 secs, since it'll be as hot as a nuclear fusion reactor in there :D.

One thing I've heard about is that I'm not sure if the food cooked on pcbs and silicon chips are edible or not. Apparently, those things release bromine when they're heated and bromine is quite toxic. Meh, it'll serve those bastids who actually burn macs right.:mad:

11. Rajj macrumors 6502a

Rajj

Well said Mate!!!

;)