PeeCee Will Not Boot

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by chanoc, Dec 6, 2004.

1. chanoc macrumors 6502

chanoc

Oh sh#$-o-day my PeeCee will not boot.

I was thinking dead power supply, but that does seem to be it as when I plug in the cord a light comes on on the logic board. The light for the battery indicator does not come on, and the on-switch just shows orange light and not the green light. Am I correct to trouble-shot this problem as a dead CMOS battery (little round thing that pops off the logic board)? Hope it is not the logic board, like I really want to put money into a PeeCee. Heading to CompUSA tomorrow.

Dell OptiPlex small version, low profile Pentium III 2001.

My 2001 iBook is still going strong, never had a problem.

<p!ssed content=":mad:" />

2. maya macrumors 68040

maya

If they make you spend anything on the PC, drag the computer and drop it into the trash. ;) ;)

I have a powerbook from 2000 and its still going strong. :) I love this machine. Though looking at an iBook G4 12", for portability reasons.

3. chanoc thread starter macrumors 6502

chanoc

That would be nice, but would miss Linux. Also need it run M$ Office. :(

4. maya macrumors 68040

maya

If you are a student you can get M$ Office for the Mac for a decent price.

Linux what is that? LOL ;) :)

If you have a copy of virtual PC, I am sure it had a version of red hat that could be run on it. I believe M$ killed that option, have you tried looking to find a previous copy of virtual PC with Red Hat. :)

5. chanoc thread starter macrumors 6502

chanoc

I got M$ 2003 Office Corp Edition for a great price, free. Virtual PC on a 500MHz G3 is not an option. Broke, no job, do not need hardware breaking down right now. I can afford a 10.00 battery, but not a 50.00 logic board on a 43.00 bank account.

6. jadam macrumors 6502a

jadam

Honestly tell me the truth, is there a point in writing "PeeCee" and "M$"?

7. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

the cmos battery can last 3 to 5 years,or even longer...but if it goes out, you have to get a new one

also, your operating system can be corrupt...my pc laptop, a 1999 compaq presario 1272, is having more and more trouble booting all the way up and in circustances similar to that in the past, i have restored the computer completely with the restore disks...it doesn't bug me to do this once a year since it is windows 98 ;)

of course, when possible, i backed up all my personal information

another possibility, on some laptops, is that the ribbon cable which connects the motherboard to the lcd screen could have become unplugged or severed...in either case you would have to open up your laptop and investigate...if all you need to do is reconnect your ribbon cable, then you are in luck

if it's severed, you will have to replace it...that may not be easy and depending on which battery your laptop uses for the cmos, availibility can vary on that, too

8. chanoc thread starter macrumors 6502

chanoc

Yeah, it's disrespect to the capitalist gangbang known as Microsoft. :p

9. frugme macrumors newbie

You mentioned that you would miss Linux -- you don't have to. First, there is Yellow Dog Linux, a very good distro that is based on previous versions of Red Hat or Fedora. Then, there is a Fedora for PPC project that I hope will get more attention. You can also run Debian and Gentoo on a Mac.

10. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

wtf is the point, linux is a good idea for a pc but why run it on a mac?, there is no point, you can run ppc linux apps in x11 so it just uglyfies your mac and makes it so it cant run Mac apps wtf is the point?.

just get a battery