Pegasos & MoL

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by ionas, Feb 23, 2004.

1. ionas macrumors regular

2. MacRAND macrumors 6502a

MacRAND

I have a G4 dual 1GHz with max RAM for sale.
    Where do you want it shipped to; how far from Arizona?

3. ionas thread starter macrumors regular

thanks for your offer but

thanks for your offer but,

1. rev. b is near arrival

2. i didnt really want to buy a g4; i would buy a g3 or g4 for server use (using GNU/Darwin or GNU/Hurd-L4 if ever released/stable (or any other GPL'ed L4 system that works on PPC and is stable) on it, without all the gui bloat a client needs); but well i would not spend more than 500 EUR.

Pegasos-II G3/600 MHz: EUR 346.90
    Pegasos-II G4/1 GHz: EUR 578.90

both will run GNU/Darwin 100%tly; question is how (cause they "will" run Mac on Linux(MoL)) they will run Mac On Linux + Mac OS 10.3x or even 10.4; runs good, runs bad - who knows - and that was my question.

further i would possibly prefer a g3 cause for server works the altivec unit isnt much used (in most cases, maybe cause ppl dont core server apps for vector units, maybe cause it doesnt make sense - dont know) - and cause the g3 is fanless.

3. i come from old europe, more exact from germany, so i would if ever buy a used mac around here and not overseas

4. still - thanks for your offer - hope you could sell it well!

4. MacRAND macrumors 6502a

MacRAND

G5 rev. b are definately coming!

I figured you were not really interested, especially since you live in Europe. We live too far from each other.

Panther OS X is designed to take good advantage of a dual G4 CPU like the 1GHz, I am not sure Mac on Linux (MoL) does, does it?

If you can get MoL up on a Mac, is there any chance that Lindows would install? Although I'd never willingly resort to using a Windows OS, I find many interesting and attractive things about Lindows OS.

Frankly, my demands are so well met by my Dual G4 that I am really not tempted by a G5...yet. That will, I am sure, change eventually... probably soon.

I even like the G4 PowerBooks (15" especially) as they are currently built. I would be very interested in the next PB G4 build, if the G5 version takes very long. Even then, I would not be an early-adopter of the newest G5 PowerBook.

While I understand that the current manifestation of the G4 CPU chip has run its course in terms of ultimate clock speed, to me the G4 is still a good choice. When Apple gets all the bugs out of the G5, I will be happy to be a "late adopter" (never early).

And yes, you would be very wise to focus on the new G5 line that is about to be released. How could you go wrong with G5 rev. B? Are you interested in maybe buying a new Cinema Display if it matches the G5 aluminum surface?

Danke für Ihre Antwort, obwohl es fast drei Wochen dauerte.
    Informieren Sie mich, was Sie entscheiden, zu kaufen, wann die neuen
    Macs auf Verkauf gehen.

Thank you for your reply even though it took nearly three weeks. ;)
    Let me know what you decide to purchase when the new Macs go on sale. :cool: