Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bcuzawd

macrumors member
Dec 25, 2013
I got mine yesterday. They now put in Toshiba drives.
You may find a older one still in stock that has the seagate's in it.

I actually purchased the empty case (before they stopped selling them) and went with 4 x 3TB Barracuda 3.5" Internal Desktop Hard Drives SEST3000DM00) from B&H @ $104.99 a piece (price on 7/1/14).

I'm running in RAID5 config, so I have 9TB of space.

Speed is decent, but it does take a second for the HDD's to spin-up. Would be super sweet if there were large capacity/reasonably priced SSD's I could put in place.

I'm running it through a Late 2013 iMac which only has TB1.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-02-13 at 11.50.47 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-02-13 at 11.50.47 AM.png
    881.3 KB · Views: 149

darkskies

macrumors newbie
Jul 11, 2008
London
My 4TB R4 has had a couple of drive failures luckily no important data on there - I've temporarily put in on old Samsung 1TB to test compatibility of unsupported drives and even though its slowed down a little, it's still working fine and is still fast.

So I'm looking for replacement drives and will stick the the recommended ones if possible...we'll see.

BUT I want to upgrade the HDs from 1tb to 2tb, but I can't afford to buy 4 at once at the moment! Can I mix 1 and 2TB drives together?

D

matreya

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2009
BUT I want to upgrade the HDs from 1tb to 2tb, but I can't afford to buy 4 at once at the moment! Can I mix 1 and 2TB drives together?

No, that would really confuse the R4.. You're better off saving up the $$.

Yuck9

macrumors member
Dec 9, 2014
California
R4 Drives

Before going and buying drives that may not work, I would go to there website and check what drives they have listed and work.

They only have a few drives that will work. They also tell you that a drive
must match on both, the size of drive, mfg, and firmware number. I also read that the firmware must be present on all 4 drives.

mikepj

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2004

This will work as long as each RAID volume has the same size disks. The RAID software will allow you to create multiple RAID volumes, so if you had two 1TB drives and two 2TB drives, you could create two separate RAID volumes using each pair (and mount them as separate volumes on your desktop).

If you want to have a single RAID volume (like a RAID 5), then I wouldn't mix drive capacities. It's not a question of whether it would work (I haven't tried it, but the Pegasus should support mixed drive sizes), but it's a waste of disk space because the RAID would be sized accordingly to the smallest drive in the set. You would be throwing away space on the larger disks.

Theoretically though, if you want to expand capacity you could replace each disk in the RAID one by one and have no downtime. Say you have a 4 disk RAID 5 volume. Fail one disk and remove it. Then replace it with a new disk that is larger. Wait for the RAID to rebuild. Then move on to the next disk replacement, etc. It's a long process (and a large opportunity for the entire RAID to fail if you have a read error on one of the drives during a rebuild), but it should work. After you replace each of the 4 disks, then open the Promise Utility to expand the volume. Then open Disk Utility and expand the partition to fill the empty space in the larger volume. Again, not a recommended path (at least not without good backups), but that's what you pay for when you spend the money on a hardware RAID setup like this.

While everything I mention here should work, I wouldn't recommend mixed disk sizes. Save your pennies a little longer and wait until you can replace all 4 disks. If you need more space now, consider buying a single larger disk to run separately from the Pegasus (4TB is around $100, 5 and 6TB disks aren't too much more). Then use the Pegasus for fast storage and the single disk for archival.

As far as using disks that aren't on the Promise hardware support list… Do your research first. If you read others who have tried a particular hard drive model with successful results, then I wouldn't hesitate to use that model in my own Pegasus.

comset

macrumors newbie
Aug 6, 2015
Hi,
I recently got a Pegasus2 R6.
Do you have anyone who changed to SSD?

I changed to my own SATA 6Gb / s SSD for testing.
When I insert the SSD into the drive bay, the Promise utility will display the information of the SSD connected by SATA 6Gb / s.
However, when I restart the Mac, the Promise Utility shows the SSD transfer rate as SATA3Gb / s.
And the speed is very slow.

Please tell me your successful SSD.

Darkjl

macrumors newbie
Nov 24, 2021
Hi,
I recently got a Pegasus2 R6.
Do you have anyone who changed to SSD?

I changed to my own SATA 6Gb / s SSD for testing.
When I insert the SSD into the drive bay, the Promise utility will display the information of the SSD connected by SATA 6Gb / s.
However, when I restart the Mac, the Promise Utility shows the SSD transfer rate as SATA3Gb / s.
And the speed is very slow.

Please tell me your successful SSD.
I have the exact same problem. Just installed 2TB SSD, Sandisk 3D, and they are recognised as SataII drives.
Blackmagic speed test is a bit disappointing then

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.