Pegatron Reportedly Lands 50% of 4.7-Inch iPhone 6 Orders for This Year

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Aug 14, 2014.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Apple supply partner Pegatron has won a contract that will see it produce 25 million of the estimated 50 million 4.7-inch iPhone 6 units to be shipped this year, reports DigiTimes. It was reported in January that the company would be awarded 50% of the orders, however a report in May pegged that number at 15%.

The report also notes that the rest of the orders for the iPhone 6 are expected to go to Foxconn, who has helped produce iPhone 5s and other Apple devices. Pegatron's relationship with Apple is said to also have grown tighter recently, as the supplier has managed assembly for the iPad mini and the iPhone 5c throughout the past year. It is currently unknown which supplier will take care of orders for the 5.5-inch iPhone 6, although the larger device could see constrained supply this year due to production challenges.

Apple will publicly unveil the iPhone 6 for the first time at an event on September 9, with a launch for the 4.7-inch version likely coming a week later as with prior years. In addition to a larger display, the phone is expected to feature a thinner, curved bezel and incorporate a faster A8 chip, an advanced camera, and iOS 8.

Article Link: Pegatron Reportedly Lands 50% of 4.7-Inch iPhone 6 Orders for This Year

2. macrumors member

Get those phones made! Your gonna need a lot :)

3. macrumors regular

50 millions might not even satisfy the demand. I know tons of people who are still on the iPhone 4/4S/5 waiting for a bigger iPhone to upgrade to. Not to mention the millions currently using 5S who want an early upgrade and people jumping ship from Android.

4. macrumors 68020

I wonder if Apple will release their own cases for it . Or a new stronger Lightning cable .

5. macrumors 65816

TouchMint.com

Truth!

I think the demand is really going to blow people away!

6. macrumors 6502a

ogremoustro

I wish they would release stronger cables.

7. macrumors regular

In terms of worker rights/issues/violations/etc., how does Pegatron rate compared to Foxconn?

8. macrumors 65816

Tankmaze

Only for the 4.7 inch iPhone ? No 5.5 inch ?
    Or maybe the 5.5 inch would be made in the us like the Mac Pro.

9. macrumors member

Shut up and take my money!

10. macrumors 68040

Please help me with this if you can.
    I am the only one among my friends that has Apple products. When i'm asked why Apple are better and not a junk i don't know what to replay to them objectively (i just tell them that they require my needs and that it) they told me, that other products cheaper and better can do that

Forgot to tell that they never used an iOS or OSX.
    They tell me a lot that iphone is not a smartphone

They tell me a lot that i am a fool and Apple is just a profit company

11. macrumors 68020

SMIDG3T

1) Ecosystem is outstanding.
    2) Design is second-to-none.
    3) iOS is the best OP out there.

That's my top 3, tell them that and it will shut them up.

12. macrumors 68040

iOS is limited and android is not...this is the only statement that they tell me...
    I think Apple has the better customer service as well in my opinion

13. macrumors 68000

keysofanxiety

+1, 100% agreed. Hardware wise, really the only noticeable thing the iPhone is missing compared to its competitors would be a bigger screen (arguably slightly better battery life too).

But that's pretty much it. When the larger screen comes out it's going to sell like nothing else -- perhaps even break 80 million per quarter. I personally know a few people who are either waiting for the larger screen to upgrade from an earlier iPhone, or jump ship from Android.

14. macrumors newbie

Has anyone noticed any quality differences between manufacturers when Apple has used two different manufacturers for the same product?

15. macrumors 6502a

marvz

Android is crappy as hell. If they don't believe it, they probably don't have used an iPhone before.
    And yes, Apple has the best customer support out there.

16. macrumors newbie

wozmatic

As consumers, will we be able to tell where our iPhone 6 was made?

17. macrumors 6502

Dilster3k

I'm a little concerned about maintaining constant quality between these two. I remember finding minor scratches on my previous black iPhone 5 as soon as I opened the box and that really annoyed me.

I hope all iPhones will be made perfectly, unlike for example the LG vs. Samsung panels that are used within the rMBP as the latter is superior.

18. macrumors 68000

keysofanxiety

Security, stability, unimpeded customisation. You can never have all of them.

When Android users talk about 'limited' and 'customisation', all I really see them do is install stupid widgets, pirate/hack games, and change icons. And yet they have the audacity to say that iOS users are stupid and non tech savvy. :rolleyes:

19. macrumors 65816

iZac

A secure, consistent OS experience that isn't fragmented from device to device. Excellent hardware and after sales service.

20. macrumors 68040

ValSalva

The lack of leaked 5.5" iPhone 6 parts (different supply chain?) as well as reports that there is some differentiation in specs (sapphire glass, optical image stabilization) makes me wonder if it is going to be manufactured in the united states.

In the SJ biography, Jobs lamented the lack of a technically skilled workforce in America though. But if Apple made the 5.5" iPhone 6 more expensive and thus figured on selling fewer of them and took the extra time needed to train engineers and factory workers, then this is plausible.

21. macrumors 68020

Solomani

Yes, but you also can never convince them….. unless they have been given an opportunity to try out or play with the iPhone (or other Apple products).

Sadly this is the case in many areas that do not have access to a nearby Apple Retail Store. This is also the case in many countries where they have zero Apple Stores. Hence the few "Apple fans" in those countries are considered weird, considered fringe people who dabble in Apple devices when the rest of their countrymen use Androids/Windows. Clearly they are an outnumbered bunch, and all their friends will criticize them for using Apple devices which is "not normal" in the society.

22. macrumors 6502a

I think that the lack of 5.5" parts means nothing. We have seen very little about the new iPads or the iWatch but we know they are coming

23. macrumors 6502a

gto55

5.5" not mentionned ? :eek::mad::(

[​IMG]

24. macrumors 604

bushido

i owe a friend my iPhone 5 if they do come out with an iPhone 5.5 at the same time as the 4.7. i highly doubt it so i feel save lol.

25. macrumors 6502a

woodekm

Wonder if there will be any quality differences between Foxconn and Pegatron, once out. You know everyone will want to know "what build" you have if there are problems.