Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

white_ipad_2_oblique.jpg

Taiwanese publication Digitimes, which gained some notice late last week for its claim that Apple is preparing the iPad 3 for a March release ahead of an "iPad 4" launch just six months later, is adding additional color to its rumors with a new report claiming that Pegatron is set to become Apple's primary manufacturing partner for the iPad. Pegatron, which was rumored as long as six months ago to be ramping up as an iPad manufacturer, would displace Foxconn in that role.
Pegatron Technology has reportedly already landed a small volume of orders for the upcoming "iPad 3" (generally called by supply chain players), which is set to launch in March, while the company is expected to see a significant increase in its orders for Apple's "iPad 4," which is scheduled to launch in October, with an initial volume of about 7-10 million units, according to sources from the upstream supply chain. Pegatron did not comment on the report at the time of publication.

The sources pointed out that Apple will also start changing its outsourcing strategy and will have Pegatron primarily focus on production of the iPad series products with production of the iPhone series products as an auxiliary in 2013, while the strategy for Foxconn Electronics (Hon Hai Precision Industry) is vice versa.
Digitimes has in the past offered accurate information from Apple's supply chain, but its reliability has more recently come into question with some unlikely and/or incorrect claims.

Article Link: Pegatron to Become Apple's Primary iPad Manufacturing Partner?

Unggoy Murderer

macrumors 65816
Jan 28, 2011
Edinburgh, UK
I would like to think that Apple would not release a new model so quickly. If the iPad 3 has a Retina display, I'll be purchasing it, but I would be fairly disappointed if Apple went and released a new model again 6 months later. 10-12 months is a pretty healthy cycle, it's worked so far for the iPhone.

tasset

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2007
Not sure how much credibility Digitimes has, but I would hope Apple has such a strategy not to rely too heavily on just one manufacturer. With Tim Cook's expertise they probably do. I would hate for Foxconn to get any leverage and drive the prices up on Apple.

TMay

macrumors 68000
Dec 24, 2001
Carson City, NV
Brazil?

I'm understanding that Apple was required to build iPhones in Brazil to bypass high tariffs. Curious if iPad production will happen there as well. This would be important for the South American market overall.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Digitimes has in the past offered accurate information from Apple's supply chain, but its reliability has more recently come into question with some unlikely and/or incorrect claims.

LMAO. When?

dampfnudel

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A406 Safari/7534.48.3)

I hate these two iPad releases in the same year rumors. If some component such as the A6 or the retina display isn't available right now in sufficient numbers, Apple will delay the iPad 3 release until the summer, with the iPhone 5 coming out in early fall.

Saladinos

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2008
Not sure how much credibility Digitimes has, but I would hope Apple has such a strategy not to rely too heavily on just one manufacturer. With Tim Cook's expertise they probably do. I would hate for Foxconn to get any leverage and drive the prices up on Apple.

Not much danger of that, but yeah it's good to diversify suppliers.

It also helps scramble the competition. Locking up time with the big, stable and high-volume companies makes it more difficult for everyone else (operationally in terms of logistics and such, but also in terms of volume and price).

jabbawok

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2004
Worcestershire
6 month replacement cycles is a ridiculous notion. The public just don't have the appetite for it. Even a hardcore fanboy like myself isn't going to get a new iPad every six months.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.