Penn State launches Napster music service - 100,000 download...

Discussion in 'MacBytes.com News Discussion' started by MacBytes, Jan 13, 2004.

1. macrumors bot

2. macrumors regular

I wonder what percentage of that 100,000 was streams and what was downloads? I bet it was easily 10:1 (stream:download).

3. macrumors 65816

Do they have choice?
    No, the college makes them pay for a service they don't even want.

me/ hoping the blue cat dies in the next 12 months or so.

4. macrumors regular

Not only that (not having a choice) but it DOESN'T WORK ON MAC (you have to get virtual pc, as if I would even want to use it anyways, I've got the iTMS) and ALSO...apparently they've installed some new firewalls over break and block a lot more ports thus preventing us from using Kazza (and similar apps) forcing us into Napster, though I have yet to test this.

5. macrumors 65816

not really eyeluvmyimac i loaded poisoned and it works fine

6. macrumors regular

ok awesome, i didnt think it would actually work (the blocking) at least not for us mac'cers

thanks for the heads up

7. macrumors 6502a

bpd115

This hasn't spread to branch campuses yet Tim....the only thing I will use this for though is streaming a song to see if I like it and then buying it from ITMS....if I even use it at all....since I've got my Macs my PC has been a red headed step child who only sometimes gets a look from Remote Desktop Connection.

8. macrumors G5

nagromme

Streaming and downloads? Using those numbers together is when stats=lies

I love when people (Real etc.) claim a streaming service dominates music because of the number of songs people listen to. Streaming is like radio!

Better count every time someone LISTENS to a download from iTMS then... which unlike streaming, will remain free forever.

9. macrumors regular

Cool I subimitted this.

Yeah we'll never know what was streams and waht was downloads. I'm pretty sure people at penn don't like the fact they can't use that store with their ipod.

Oh yeah i made a mistake submitting this. I put it under hardware...which it isn't funny that they didn't fix that.

10. macrumors 6502

It sounds like a good idea in context... but only 100000 songs, where is this 500000 Napster claims to have?