Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Judas1

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2011
Budgeting isn't about simply saving as much as possible. It's about spending appropriately to cover what you need and want. People seem to be getting a few things mixed up.
That's the mentality of people that would need a budgeting app. There are lots of things we don't need but just want. If you avoid the wants, you won't have to worry about staying under an imaginary budget line.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
That's the mentality of people that would need a budgeting app. There are lots of things we don't need but just want. If you avoid the wants, you won't have to worry about staying under an imaginary budget line.

That's the mentality of people that don't really know what budgeting is.

Judas1

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2011
That's the mentality of people that don't really know what budgeting is.
You budget so that you can manage your money so that you're living within your means right? Well, living frugally obviously is the best way to manage your money for the most savings, so that you're living well under your means. Its smart budgeting. I don't know why you insist its not budgeting.
edit: Just because you don't need to keep track of every penny doesn't mean you're not budgeting.

Last edited:

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Budgeting is so that you can manage your money and live within your means right. Well, living frugally obviously is the best way to manage your money for the most savings, which means you're living well under your means. Its smart budgeting. I don't know why you insist its not budgeting.
Living frugally is not the same as living within your means or what budgeting is. It's one approach that can simplify budgeting for someone, of course, simply by eliminating spending as much as possible and that's it. Just like practically not eating anything can be in the spectrum of being on a diet, but that's not what having an apporipiate healthy diet is about.

Judas1

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2011
Living frugally is not the same as living within your means or what budgeting is. It's one approach that can simplify budgeting for someone, of course, simply by eliminating spending as much as possible and that's it. Just like practically not eating anything can be in the spectrum of being on a diet, but that's not what having an apporipiate healthy diet is about.
We might have to agree to disagree. Living frugally means separating needs from wants, figuring out when you need something so you have time to buy at a discount. If buying just something you just want, you set a max for what you're willing to spend. Sure sounds like managing your income, aka budgeting. And about the diet analogy. Living frugally is analogous to eating a healthy diet where you get your necessary nutrients and calories. What you're suggesting is excessive eating, while working out hard, as long as the calorie balances out (obviously not that healthy.)

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
We might have to agree to disagree. Living frugally means separating needs from wants, figuring out when you need something so you have time to buy at a discount. If buying just something you just want, you set a max for what you're willing to spend. Sure sounds like managing your income, aka budgeting. And about the diet analogy. Living frugally is analogous to eating a healthy diet where you get your necessary nutrients and calories. What you're suggesting is excessive eating, while working out hard, as long as the calorie balances out (obviously not that healthy.)
Seems like we are more in agreement than not. What you are describing, as I mentioned, can fit in with budgeting, being on one end of its spectrum, while there's a whole lot more between than and the other end of budgeting spectrum. The point is that people can be on a budget or at least keep track of their spending and still have money to spend on various wants at various times and still live within their means.

lkalliance

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2015
I've been looking at this app, and I'm embarrassed to say I don't understand its principals.

I set up a budget for each expense? Or a budget for each time period? If I've got multiple budgets, they all must be competing for the same collection of money...yet they seem to be independent of one another.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.