Penryn Based Mac Pros Soon?

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Oct 18, 2007.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

AppleInsider reports that Apple is about to unleash Penryn-based Mac Pros as soon as Intel can provide the new chips to Apple.
    This article corroborates an Inquirer report which claimed that Apple was buying up high end (3.2GHz) Penryn processors this year, leaving little supply for other PC manufacturers.

AppleInsider believes that the new Mac Pro will top with an 8-core model utilizing two of these new 3.2GHz "Harpertown" 45-nm quad-core Xeons which offer a faster 1600MHz bus and 12MB of L2 cache. The new processor could offer up to 45% speed increases over existing Mac Pro processors for bandwidth-intensive applications.

The fate of the remainder of the Mac Pro line remains less certain, but Apple appears to have the option of a number of dual-core Penryn ("Wolfdale") processors that could find their way into the lower-end Mac Pros.

Article Link

2. macrumors 6502

FINALLY!!!! Good news there is finally an update coming.

3. macrumors 6502a

Excellent - I'm ordering one as soon as it is launched. Along with the list of other MR folks in another thread.

We really need to update the ancient MP line!

4. macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

I will order one as soon as they are made available. I just hope that it stops becoming a rumor and becomes a fact.

And I would love to see the base price of the MP to come down to $2000, for those that can't save the money and instead whine about how Apple needs to cater to them.

5. macrumors regular

rediffusion

Any idea when this will happen?

6. macrumors 603

Multimedia

At Last We Have A Photograph!

Finally was already taken. ;) I beat Arn by 4 minutes. :p
    Announce next week. Ship November 12.

Attached Files:

7. Editor emeritus

longofest

They should definitely still offer affordable (relatively speaking) 4-core options. Not everyone shopping for a Mac Pro needs the top of the line 8 core machine, but it would be nice if they dropped the entry barrier a bit.

8. macrumors regular

Novemeber, Please! (or Earlier Would Be Fine Too!)

9. macrumors 68020

I hope it comes soon.

It is time to upgrade my Quad G5. I need to sell it while has Applecare and still a great machine. Do it Apple, Do it!:D

10. macrumors G3

puckhead193

if these speeds are correct, my god. Those are some fast machines for browsing MR i mean doing 3-d rendering ;)

11. macrumors 6502a

In terms of what will happen to the rest of the MacPro line, if you look at the expected prices of the dual and quad core parts, there is no good reason for Apple to use any of the dual core parts.

Intel is pricing their quad core Xeons extremely agressively. Compared to the current dual core Xeons being used in the Mac Pro, similarly priced quad core Penryn Xeons are as follows...

$316: Current 2.0Ghz DC -> 2.5Ghz QC Penryn
    $744: Current 2.66Ghz DC -> 2.8Ghz QC Penryn
    $1172: Current 3GHz DC -> 3.2Ghz QC Penryn

You can see why above that I think Apple will go all quad core for the next revision of the Mac Pro lineup.

The only reason i could think of for Apple to not go all quad core would be to purposefully segment (and IMO, hobble) their lineup, to really extract a premium for those who want quad core.

Edit: for price info, check out this post and remember that post only has prices and info for the 133MHz FSB Penryn Xeons - the 3.2Ghz and 2.8GHz chips are likely to be 1600MHz FSB parts.

12. macrumors 68000

4God

So what would the line-up look like?
    Base: 2.4 8 Core
    Middle: 2.8 8 core
    Top: 3.0 or 3.2 8 core

Maybe?

13. macrumors 68000

darthraige

There better be an announcement NEXT WEEK! Come on Apple! DO NOT WAIT UNTIL 2008 for these!

14. macrumors 68000

krye

I've been an on eBay selling spree since Feb so I can get the money for a Mac Pro. I sold off all my old PC junk and other misc stuff that I finally managed to save up $3400 for a Mac Pro. It took all this time but I finally did it. It only makes sense to wait until the next harware update. Now that I have the money, I'm finding it really hard to wait. I hope that it comes soon.

15. macrumors 68000

4God

Ditto. I'm hoping for an announcement next tuesday, 10/30/07. :D
    I would like to get back to a MacPro soon. If I could get an 8 core 3.2 for
    under $3900.00, I just might do it.

16. macrumors 603

Multimedia

All Dual Quad Core - 8 Cores For Everyone

I think you mean All Dual Quad Core. That's what I expect. All 8 Cores for today's same prices.

Almost Zactly - except bottom will be 2.5GHz not 2.4.
    [​IMG]

17. macrumors member

Wtf?

if those are the new mac pros, they are still huge, i would of thought :apple: will design something smaller, i mean who the f*** needs 3 TB of hardrive?

18. macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

I am still a little skeptical about the entire lineup being 8 core. I think Apple will make the top end 8 core standard for the current price of $3300 and the rest would be upgraded 4 cores.

19. macrumors 6502a

I seriously hope for 8core base Mac Pro. I would be very upset if I had to pay extra for 8 core option.

20. macrumors 6502a

Yea, you know what I mean. ;)

The only other possibility I see is Apple offering a 2x2.33 QC model for $1999 maybe...

2.33GHz - $1999
    2.5Ghz - $2199
    2.8Ghz - $2499
    3.2Ghz - $2999

That would be sweet... with an edu discount I could get the "slow" MP for $1799 maybe...

21. macrumors 6502

mozmac

I like seeing Apple push the Mac Pro forward, but I would still like to see a lower end tower. A headless iMac but much more power than the Mini.

22. macrumors 68000

darthraige

Are you kidding me? I want that huge machine. It's so dominant and says, "Don't F*** with me!" haha. I love it!

23. macrumors 6502

As good as it sounds?

This may be a silly question but will Leopard, Adobe CS3 and Apple pro products be able to fully utilize these 8 core processors?

24. macrumors demi-god

Nugget

I'm buying one as soon as Apple says "go". It's been a long wait. :)

25. macrumors 68000

darthraige

YES! YES! and YES! :D