Pentagon abandons active-duty time limit

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by zimv20, Jan 11, 2007.

1. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

AP

2. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I was gonna post this same article, but under the cheeky title "24". :D

Looks like this may be something else Congress will have to address. After all, if we keep extending these tours far enough, the United States can boast that it's "all war, all the time."

There's a big difference between being in the service and being in servitude.

3. After G macrumors 68000

After G

How long before the draft's reinstated?

I'm half-serious.

Don't know whether to be :eek:, :confused:, :rolleyes:, :(, or :mad: about this whole thing.

4. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

All of the above.

Send the administration to fight, if they want it so much. Perhaps, they will re-activate my adoptive dad's service. He's only been out about 40 years. :rolleyes:

5. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

They take and take and take.

This is supporting the troops?

6. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Good luck with that. You're either going to have undertrained cannon fodder, or deployments that don't last long enough to actually allow the soldier to become effective at their job. I mean, if the training that now takes 6 months can be compressed into 3 months, and you figure it takes at least another 3 months to become familiar with the local 'scene' wherever you end up, that means that at best you have 6 months on duty?

That's great for the soldiers, but sucks from a military standpoint. Which leads me to believe that when push comes to shove the military's needs will win out. Which further leads me to believe that the 12 month thing is just a fig leaf, and that deployments will routinely be extended.

7. Black&Tan macrumors 6502a

Black&Tan

Another slap in the face for the Guard and Reserves.

This is how the military deals with inordinate stress on our citizen soldiers. It's bad enough that they don't have current equipment (or any equipment), they don't have the respect of the Army/Air Force as a whole, and horrible pay. Now they will face job instability. After all, this "war on terror" is not going to end anytime soon. How many places will keep an employee who can be deployed for two years at a time, and then face a second two year deployment within another year or so?? I know the law says that you have to hold "a comparable position" for these soldiers while they're away, but most companies have little to no notice prior to a soldier's deployment, and an open ended return date. There is now no incentive for these companies to keep jobs available. How many soldiers are returning to an unwelcome job environment, especially since they're not being allowed to get out of the reserves.