Pentagon Can Now Fund Foreign Militaries

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by zimv20, Jan 29, 2006.

1. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

link

interesting how easy it is for ms rice to go along w/ rumsfeld, not at all like the rumsfeld/powell relationship.

2. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

Well, I am of two minds about a development like this.

First off, I actually kind of like the idea in theory. With regards to Foreign Policy, I actually think it is important to be able to act quickly and decisively and to engage in strategic and tactical alliances etc. that may not be entirely palatable morally. We are, and will continue to fight asymetrical warfare with an enemy who purposely refuses to play by the established rules - and we continue to live in a complicated world where "virtue" takes on a decidely machaivellian meaning. I think this has a chance of making us more effective in dealing with the larger world.

OTOH, The above, at least to warrant my endorsement, must involve some wisdom and strategy from those who hold these positions of power. Because I have always had a problem with the Administration's various appointments in the compentency department, I worry about this development. Reckless, or downright stupid behavior as a result of this license is now left to even less oversight or debate.

hmmm...

3. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

Ok, this is ridiculous, in a scary kind of way.

Do we really want the Pentagon funding the militaries of foreign nations? Is that something the Pentagon should really be getting into?

Money says this has something to do with renditions and prisoner "interrogation". The State Department wouldn't approve a payment to a foreign regime for torturing prisoners we handed to them, but now the Pentagon can just slide the cash under the table straight to the willing parties.

This is one of those things that just *sound* bad. Like onion-flavored peanut butter. You don't have to try it to know it's a terrible idea.

4. Nickygoat macrumors 6502a

Nickygoat

I wonder if they'll actually get the cash, or if the Pentagon will supply matériel, or other assets.
    Rent the 101st Airborne for a week? :p
    They're probably trying to use it as leverage on some uncooperative allies.

5. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

I think the purpose of having seperate government agencies is so that authority and responsibility are clearly laid out.

While I don't personally see anything wrong with the Pentagon funding foreign militaries as opposed to the State Department taking that responsibility, I do think that overlapping responsibilities is problematic, especially as it opens the door to increasingly tense funding request battles between State and Defense.

6. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

I wish people had proven themselves capable of being given power like this but one look at Central and South America should remind everyone what happens when you let the military 'assist' diplomatic efforts.

Also, just as a side note, Rumsfeld was able to ram this through against the will of Congress... and we're supposed to believe the Bushies when they tell us that that pushing a change in the FISA law through Congress was impossible, that's why it's OK that Bush ignored US law.

7. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

The only change I see here is "overt" from "covert".

8. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

I thought the CIA did that before, for example CIA funding Afghans to fight against the Soviets.

Although, people like the green brets are trained to train foreign militaries as part of the STOP, so my guess your overt to covert analogy is probably true.

9. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

[​IMG]

:)

10. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

"It is a favre, favre better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a favre, favre better rest that I go to than I have ever known." :p