Pentagon to Monitor Media Coverage of Iraq

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by mactastic, Sep 1, 2006.

1. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Link'd
    Let's hope they can monitor the press better than they could monitor Iraqi WMDs...

Although really, why is this important to them? What about "near real-time" monitoring of the tone of press coverage makes me safer as an American taxpayer? I can see how it might help partisan politics, but that isn't a justification for spending taxpayer dollars.

2. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

This could be a good job for the MacRumors Political crowd;) Bush & gang spending more money or should I say wasting it. 2 more years is going to be a long 2 years with Bush. We need a democratic house so we can kick Bush & gang out before he screws up anything else.

3. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

this administration is all politics and no policy. in the balance between content and presentation, it's all about presentation.

4. mactastic thread starter macrumors 68040

mactastic

IOW all hat and no cattle.

5. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Couldn't have said it better. If the American public doesn't hear bad news that means it's not there.

I had hope for Iraq until I read that the 'Mahdi' army got into a firefight with the Iraqi Army. Link.

Is this new group going to review the Pentagon's own reports as well? Link.

6. beatsme macrumors 65816

beatsme

I think probably they'd want to monitor the tone of the coverage in order to develop a media strategy to supplement or counter it, depending.

what would be interesting is if US control of information to Western media outlets made Al-Jazeera the only credible news source in the region. I can't imagine how the administration would view that as a positive development. Maybe they think it'd make the truth seem like propaganda. Who knows?

7. Glen Quagmire macrumors 6502a

True, but it's not the only one. The Blair government in the UK is utterly obsessed with presentation and spin. Content comes a distant second.

Surely the ideal provider of media coverage of Iraq would be Fox News?

8. mactastic thread starter macrumors 68040

mactastic

Hey, why not? The spokesperson for the WH is a former FOXNews anchor and regular stand-in for Rush Limbaugh.