Pentagon to Open Communications Networks to Apple Devices in 2014

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Feb 26, 2013.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The U.S. Department of Defense today announced (via Bloomberg) a "commercial mobile device implementation plan" that would allow iOS and Android devices to be used on its secure classified and protected unclassified communication networks beginning in February 2014.
    As Bloomberg notes, BlackBerry is currently the dominant device at the Pentagon with almost 450,000 devices being used by its employees. Over the past several years, BlackBerry has seen its enterprise dominance chipped away by Apple devices, as corporations and other government agencies have been trading in their BlackBerry devices for iOS and Android ones.

This would mark the first time that commercial products like iPhones and iPads would be allowed on the department's classified networks. The department also plans to create a military mobile applications store and hire a contractor that would build a network system capable of handling as many as 8 million devices.

Teri Takai, the DoD's chief information officer, said that the move is about "keeping the department's workforce relevant" in a time where information accessibility and cybersecurity are crucial to "mission success." The department currently uses older BlackBerry devices, but the company is set to launch its new BlackBerry Z10 phone, based on the company's revamped operating system, next month.

Article Link: Pentagon to Open Communications Networks to Apple Devices in 2014

2. macrumors 6502a

smallnshort247

Now people won't need to carry a Blackberry & iPhone. Time to consolidate!

3. macrumors 6502

About damn time. I hate hate hate having to carry a Blackberry around all the time along with my personal iPhone.

4. macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire

I doubt that commercial devices have the necessary shielding.

5. macrumors newbie

ifonlyihad1

6. macrumors member

ArchAndroid

7. macrumors regular

AlbertEinstein

So it's a classified unclassified network?

8. macrumors 6502a

I don't think the US government would survive until iOS 7, so 2014?

9. macrumors 68030

flat five

10. macrumors 65816

They are referring to two different networks. The U.S. has lots of different 'terms' defining how sensitive information is. Secret, Top Secret, Classified, Protected, etc. etc. They have both protected, unclassified networks, and secure classified networks.

Although I've only seen the truly secure pentagon stuff (in pictures and stuff) via ethernet. Check out any pictures of the "situation room" or other high profile, highly classified areas within the pentagon. All of the laptops are connected via ethernet (tagged with 'classified' ribbons around the cable).

My younger brother is in the Navy and works in information security and network administration. He says they use ethernet alone for everything classified. So one might think that the 'protected unclassified' would be a form of secure Wi-Fi for devices. Or just a separate network entirely. I wouldn't be surprised if the 'secured classified' network was completely isolated, not physically or otherwise connected to any other network OR to the internet.

Interestingly though, this article makes it seem like the iPhones and Android devices would be connected to what they are describing as 'secured classified'. So maybe they are opening up the classified (or already have) network to Wi-Fi?

Who knows. Sure is pretty interesting though.

11. macrumors G3

AppleScruff1

Imagine an iDrone using Apple maps taking instructions from Siri? It would probably attack Washington by mistake.

12. macrumors 68030

flat five

lol

13. macrumors 68000

ThunderSkunk

Huh. For the kind of... they'd at very least need their own OS.

...if not hardware.

I can't imagine how they'd make use of stock consumer hardware.

14. macrumors regular

This is a blow to Blackberry. Apple and the android phone makers are now showing they have the security needed at the highest levels.

15. macrumors 68030

needfx

16. macrumors 68000

TMar

Depending on how you look at it it might do it on purpose.

17. pimentoLoaf, Feb 27, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2013

macrumors 68000

pimentoLoaf

Now if only the Pentagon brass can drag the patent trolls into a room with the Apple & Android people and say, "Enough is enough. Stop your bickering, we got lots of work to do protecting this country! We need this stuff to work together, not worry about lost sales. Grow up!"

18. macrumors 68030

flat five

apple will make 2million of them.. and make similar profit as if they sold 10m consumer phones.. with a lot less work involved than selling the 10m ..

no biggie..
    :rolleyes:

----------

and make no mistake re: this new marriage (at least, new to me)

nobody.. and i mean nobody on this planet walks around with that much cash and doesn't have a big time say in what's going on..
    they're also further enhanced by how much more content we're being fed as opposed to via TV..

i'm just sayin..you know?

19. macrumors 65816

japanime

When I first saw that huge Department of Defense logo on the front page of Macrumors, I thought the website had been hit with an ICE takedown! :eek:

20. macrumors 6502

21. macrumors 6502a

Enjoy having your secret service contacts accessed by people using the emergency number bug.

22. macrumors 6502a

:d:d:d

23. macrumors G4

No. There are multiple networks that are not interconnected

24. macrumors regular

"The department also plans to create a military mobile applications store and hire a contractor that would build a network system capable of handling as many as 8 million devices. "

lol the military industrial complex. Meanwhile more and more Americans slip into poverty and turn to meth.

25. macrumors 6502

Is this the Department of Defence just bowing to market pressure to allow the two dominant mobile platforms to be used - or have they really tested iOS and Android to be secure enough? Begs that question whether the decision was made before or after the recent spate of security flaws in iOS 6.1, 6.1.1 and 6.1.2?

Does the DoD allow Microsoft Windows computers - I guess, if they do (as I assume), then really it's anything goes.