Pentagon's top general called homosexuality immoral

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by e²Studios, Mar 13, 2007.

1. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

Just when you think that we are making strides in the right direction, some high up mucky muck makes a comment like this.

This guy should be reprimanded in more ways than just forced to give a tongue in cheek apology, which is just a slap on the wrist to him and a slap in the face to those that he insulted/hurt with his comments.
    http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/03/13/pace.gays.ap/index.html?eref=rss_topstories

Ed

2. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Well, I was waiting for this to happen. Yeah, homosexuality is the same as adultery. :rolleyes: And please excuse me for not bowing down to your upbringing.

3. jayb2000 macrumors 6502a

jayb2000

Yeah, unlike bombing innocent civilians or brain washing or torture...

ewww Men kissing! :rolleyes:

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Oh, wait, nvm...I thought you were talking about something else. :eek:

He did seem to really go off at the mouth, though... not a lot of reserve for a high ranking officer....

5. TheBobcat macrumors 6502

TheBobcat

YES!!!!!

I thought there was recently a poll that said like 70% of soldiers wouldn't have serious problems serving with a gay comrade. Besides, with our low recruitment levels, why turn people away? Gay people can fire a gun as good as the next person.

6. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

One fact that many people seem to be missing is that the miliary has its own so-called code of morality. Under this code, it is immoral to commit homosexual acts. Other legal albeit morally questionable activities are also listed such as adultery. The general may have been stating his personal opinion, or he may not have. In any case, his words mirror the opinion of the military as a whole.

7. MACDRIVE macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

When I was in the military, I knew which guys were gay and which ones weren't, but I never gave it a second thought because they never bothered me one bit; if anything, they were some of the nicer guys on the boat. ;)

8. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

How'd someone who's basically blind get in the military?

Oh nevermind, we're talking about a nation who'll elect someone who's basically inept to the highest office in the land.

9. MACDRIVE macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

This one shipmate of mine, who I knew was gay, would always oil himself up with baby oil after getting out of the shower. ooooweeee! :)

10. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

This is worse than that NBA guy

Of course we should let homosexuals be in the military. I'm sure we'd be shocked if we found out just how many were, latent or not. Considering we lost almost all of our Muslim translators because people like this guy are in charge, I'm thinking those who are uncomfortable should just get over it.

Besides, any straight dude who's uncomfortable showering with gays probably has a small penis. ;)

11. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Uhhh, What the heck are you talking about?

12. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Now you've gone and done it! You figured out why we don't bother you straight guys! :)

13. Queso macrumors G4

I know this is this guy's personal opinion, but once again you have to ask what the reaction would be if his thought processes had led him to believe inter-racial marriage was immoral and then voiced that.

The "military" having a problem with gays is like "Christians" having a problem with gays. A few people who have their own personal issues with it don't actually speak for the majority.

14. e²Studios thread starter macrumors 68020

e²Studios

My issue with that is these people are leaders, people who should be role models and not spouting off ignorant comments like this. Not everyone is as well informed as a lot of you are in this particular forum, comments like this made by leaders can have an adverse affect on more than just the community that he is insulting with his ignorance.

Ed

15. Queso macrumors G4

But he's being pulled up on it. Go back twenty years and his comments wouldn't have received such widespread condemnation. So there is progress, however slow.

16. OwlsAndApples macrumors 6502a

OwlsAndApples

True. Everyone should be forced (or encouraged...:)) to see Philadelphia the film. I saw it again last night and it is still shocking stuff.

17. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

As a gay man, I hated that movie. It played to some bad stereotypes and made me wince more than few times. But if it works for you, cool. ;)

18. joepunk macrumors 68030

joepunk

Read Garrison Keillor’s piece on gay marriage and gay parents over at Salon.com.

Keillor, concerned about the emotional well-being of children, has come to praise heterosexual marriage, monogamy, and life-long commitment.

Well what do you know, his wikipedia article states that he has been married THREE TIMES. Has children from two of the marriages, who probably need a program to keep track of their step-siblings, half-siblings, and any extended families.

He failed to live up to the ideals he's sprouting out of his mouth.

19. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Umm...I think that article was supposed to be humorous. ;)

20. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

The God of the big three main religions said it was an abomination. Christians, muslims and Jews didn't just decide they didn't like them on a whim. We supposed to be more enlightened than God is on this subject? I'm just asking because the word "immorality" is being questioned in this case and frankly unless a deity is involved how would morality apply? If there's no God, then behavior can be illegal, but not immoral.

21. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Huh? There's no such thing as morality without a "God"? What are you talking about? I seriously beg to differ.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morality

22. Queso macrumors G4

If you assume that religion is nothing more than a combination of perpetuated delusion mixed with global fraud, then you can safely conclude that yes we are. Because there is no God.

Morality doesn't come from a book, it comes from within. Religion just likes to lay claim to it as it does with so much else in life.

23. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Just a point of clarification, within? Within what? Our brains? Certainly not a soul. If someone were brought up to kill, it wouldnt be immoral to them. And since we're not accountable to anyone besides ourselves, we could do anything to anyone without getting caught. If universal morality does exist where is it written?

"If God is dead, everything is permitted." - Jean-Paul Sartre

24. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

I wouldnt stake too much in that wiki article. I'm sure its not the "end all" of sources for the god/morality debate. Eventhough the article talks a lot about it, it doesnt actually say "Morality comes from ....."

25. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Oh give me a break. What are you getting at? Why don't you just say it instead of beating around the bush?