pentax *ist dl?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by letsgorangers, Jul 22, 2006.

1. letsgorangers macrumors 6502

Jul 10, 2006

has anyone had any experience with this camera? owned it, or at the very least, used it?

i am wanting a dslr, and this is very much in my budget. i know that most of you here probably have the nikon d50/70 or the canon 20d/30d, but unfortunately (ooops, well...only unfortunate in the sense that i'll be broke) i'm starting graduate school soon and definitely can not afford those. i have a canon ae-1 program (it's great!), so i'd love to have a canon dslr, but alas, not right now!

but this camera looks like a good starter dslr with a pretty good pricetag. so have any of you used it?
  2. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Dec 27, 2002
    Location Location Location
    I haven't used this camera, but I'm sure both Pentax and Olympus offer great cameras and really nice features for the price. They give you a lot for the price you pay for their cameras, so if you're on a budget, go with those. Even the 2 kit lenses that Olympus provides are supposed to get you some decent photos. :)

I'm sure the Pentax camera is fantastic, and quite frankly, I can say the same thing about all the budget DSLRs. You don't need to get a Canon or Nikon to get good photos. You're the one holding and controlling the camera anyway, so if you take a bad photo, it's likely your fault. ;)
  3. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Jun 25, 2002
    Gone but not forgotten.
    Talk to, he's our resident Pentax addict. :)

The *ist line is quite capable though I've not used one. I sold a lot of Pentax cameras (ME Super and Auto 110!) when the brand was quite popular, along with fewer Canon AE-1s, Nikon and a lot of Fuji, Minolta, and Olympus cameras.

For the money, it's a lot more camera than practically anything else available. Canon and Nikon can't match it.
  4. jared_kipe macrumors 68030

Dec 8, 2003
  5. MacSA macrumors 68000

Jun 4, 2003
    Pentax K100D and K110D coming soon.

Pentax are releasing the K100/110D in a couple of weeks at very competitive prices. The K100D has built in shake reduction.

I believe the K110D is identical except for built in image stabilisation.

Some image samples from a Japanese website, scroll down to find them:
  6. ekenny macrumors regular

May 28, 2005
    New York
    I actually just bought this camera last week. Im waiting for it to arrive from Got it with the kit lens (18-50mm) and also picked up the 50-200mm off ebay for under $200. Ive read some pretty good things about it, so hopefully it will be a great camera.