Pentax lens compatibility?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by danson, Sep 13, 2006.

1. danson macrumors newbie

I'm seriously considering buying a DSLR. I have a Pentax P50 (P5 in US) from about 1986 with a couple of lenses. Would these lenses fit a Pentax *ist DL? My old P50 is manual focus and the *ist is autofocus - does this matter? From looking at various sites it seems that both cameras have "K mount" but there seems to be lots of different types of K mount. HELP ME PLEASE!

Thanks.

2. MacSA macrumors 68000

MacSA

3. kwajo.com macrumors 6502a

kwajo.com

if your lenses are from the 80s like your camera, they'll work brilliantly, I do it all the time. :)

there are some obscure issues with third-party lenses but it's like 0.1% of lenses, so it'll probably never come up.

4. balofagus macrumors regular

Any K Mount lens will work with the digital bodies. You will have to manually focus with any lens that does not have an A marked on the aperture ring. I have my mom's old lens from the late 70's, and although it's manual focus only, it works like a dream!

5. ATD macrumors 6502a

I just got the Pentax K100. With an adapter it is capable of using any Pentax lens. I have a lot of 6x7 lens that I did not have a digital body for. I just ordered the adapter today.

6. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

You mean that manual focus lenses aren't automatically upgraded to auto focus? How rude. :D

I was wondering if any of you see darkening in the corners?

7. balofagus macrumors regular

I don't have any problems with vignetting on my lens, but that's just one. There is likely problems with some but I haven't heard its a staggering issue.

8. danson thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks everyone for your help and advice. It's great to know I can use those old lenses - I'm really excited about getting a Pentax DSLR. :D