Pentium-M vs G4 laptop processors

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by kelvinz, Jun 3, 2004.

1. kelvinz macrumors member

How do they compare speed wise? As far as i know the Intel chip is similar to the G4 as its clocked lower and requires less electricity to run giving a longer running time.

But as far as crunching power how do they compare?

2. slooksterPSV macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

Do a google search. The measure how fast a processor is by many factors. A G4 is more powerful in some areas whil the P4-M is more powerful in other areas.

3. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

There have been 2 or 3 threads on this within the last week. Try using the search function, one of the threads was very detailed.

4. kgarner macrumors 68000

kgarner

I think barefeats.com did a test on this a while back. If I remember correctly they were comparing the previous revisions of the PowerBook (1.33 17", etc.). I haven't checked, but they do update their tests from time to time when new stuff comes out. YOu might want to check there.

5. dopefiend macrumors 6502

Most any centrino 1.6+ blows a G4 1.5 out of the water. ;)

6. kelvinz thread starter macrumors member

could you lead me to those threads? I'm having trouble finding them. Thanks!

7. Soc7777777 macrumors regular

this is sadly true... apple laptops are great because of os x and design... not because they are faster than intel counterparts... intel actually surprised me with their pentium m series because they are much faster and more efficient than any mobile processor available...

as for comparing the g4 to the pentium m.... pentium is much faster... i wish apple would get going on this... but it doesnt matter... os x is worth it...